Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint This BBQ bites back

This BBQ bites back

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:57 pm
William.Moody@yorkcountyg

Rosie Scott's BBQ located on the back roads of Williamsburg County, South Carolina, is the place for the serious BBQ eater. No signs, no ambiance, no frills and no seating, this BBQ joint is not for the faint of heart. The setting is an old convenience store on Highway 261 just west of the Hemingway, SC, in a building that likely should have been condemned a decade ago (I suspect the inspector enjoys Rosie's BBQ as much as everyone else in the area). The hogs and chicken are cooked over an open pit behind the store on "trays" that resemble old chain link fencing. The vinegar based sauce is applied with a mop and cooked to perfection. Make sure that you buy a couple of Red Rock sodas while you're there because the sauce has a peppery bite, and you may not find another convenience store for quite a few miles. This time of year you usually have to wait in long line for an hour or more if you don't have the foresight to call a few weeks ahead. I live nearly three hours away and will purposely take a detour in my travels to visit Rosie's as often as I can. You likely will not find Brunson Crossroads on any official road atlas, but once you get to Williamsburg County, you need only ask a local and they will tell you to look for the old building with a couple hundred people waiting in line.

Return to Best BBQ Joint