Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Chains

Chains

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:00 pm
matthewhickey medium-well
medium-well

I know that we all would prefer a good mom and pop type of BBQ place, but what of us who don't live a big BBQ area? Do any of you think there are chains that have excellent cue? I think that chains kill small businesses, but aren't there some that are great? I read alot of negative comments on the chain restaurants, but aren't there some good ones? What are you favorite chains to hit when there is no other choices? I am very curious to hear from the big dogs on this one!

Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:07 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Mosey on over to the forum at roadfood.com and you can get lots of opinions about chains, barbecue and otherwise.

I don't travel much and have minimal experience with barbecue chains. But if I had no other choice I think I'd go to Famous Dave's. My less-than-two cents.

Brad

Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:13 pm
matthewhickey medium-well
medium-well

Yeah, I've never had a bad meal at Daves. I think they have a great assortment of sauces to choose from.

Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:08 pm
Cuts With Spoon well done
well done

Famous Dave's makes some pretty good "textbook" BBQ.
We used them for my wedding rehearsal dinner a few years ago.

Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:44 am
Bolo medium
medium

Lots of nice Steak restaurants here in Vancouver but I have always liked "The Keg" restaurant chain. I have been going there since I was a kid and will always go.
"Baa Be Cue"

"It's Just Not For Breakfast Anymore"

Kingsford 22 1/2 inch Kettle BBQ

Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:23 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I like Smokey Bones and Red Hot and Blue.
Both have very respectable if not good BBQ.

Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:14 am
cmcadams well done
well done

There is one small chain called City BBQ in Ohio that's very good for a restaurant. I like Smokey Bone's spareribs, too. In the south, the best chain I've been to is Dreamland. I'm always surprised that Sonny's is so popular.. I didn't like that place even before I knew what bbq really was!
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:26 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

I will have to give Smokey Bones another try. They opened one in Nashua NH a while ago and my wife and I went on Labor Day. We were excited looking at the menu because there is just not a lot of good Q around here. There were long lines to get in. When the food came we were completely underwhelmed. We tried a bunch of things and it was all mediocre at best. I've seen enough people mention it favorably here and elsewhere, that I'll have to give it a second chance.

Jim

Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:09 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

We have a few Fox and Hound Smokehouse stores near us (Philly). They have good brisket, and decent pork. The six BBQ sauces offered do not differ all that much from oneanother (except for the mustard-based one.)

They do in a pinch, if there is no mom-and-pop joint in the area.

Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:14 am
nwmud medium-well
medium-well

Here in the Northwest we have Tony Romas and they bill them selves as the best BBQ in the northwest. I will not say they suck - but they are far from the best around here. I find that chains around here dont really have good que, but they have what many people think is good que. Most will never venture outside their comfort zone and try some of the small out of the way places and discover what good que is all about.

just my $.02

Ritch
Weber Gold C, Kamado, Chargriller w/sfb, Little Chief , Turkey Deep fryer, quick-adjust outdoor grill and so much more

Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:49 am
Buddha rare
rare

jfm0830 wrote:
I will have to give Smokey Bones another try. They opened one in Nashua NH a while ago and my wife and I went on Labor Day. We were excited looking at the menu because there is just not a lot of good Q around here. There were long lines to get in. When the food came we were completely underwhelmed. We tried a bunch of things and it was all mediocre at best. I've seen enough people mention it favorably here and elsewhere, that I'll have to give it a second chance.

Jim

It seems to me the quality at Smokey Bones is dependent on the manager and kitchen staff. The one in Reading PA is pretty good, but I've had others that were just lackluster
Zack

Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:57 am
fquan59 medium-well
medium-well

The only chains I've been to are Tony Roma's and Famous Dave's. The last time I was at Tony Roma's was about 18 years ago. Think that says it all. Tried Famous Dave's a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Ordered their ribs naked and really enjoyed them. Good flavor.
Chargriller Super Pro w/SFB
WSM
Smokey Joe
Kingsford Kettle
Char-Broil Santa Fe

Post Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:01 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Buddha wrote:
It seems to me the quality at Smokey Bones is dependent on the manager and kitchen staff. The one in Reading PA is pretty good, but I've had others that were just lackluster

Good point . It sounds like I should revisit this one plus try another one and compare.

Jim

Post Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:42 am
jcharpentier well done
well done

We had a Tony Roma's nearme Chicago ribs took its place .We have a Lucille's which is great.

Post Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:40 pm
outagas well done
well done

Does Calhoun's BBQ count as a chain?

The original on the west end of Knoxville was fantastic when I lived there 20 years ago. A real pit and the smell of smoke before you even got there.

When I went to the one in Nashville a while ago I was really disppointed. I don't even know if they smoke their meat there.
"El método del Su Excelencia, el Rey Minion"

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint