Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint charlotte bbq

charlotte bbq

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:49 am
chunk well done
well done

can anyone recommend a good bbq resturant in charlotte, nc? i have to go there for business. thanks.
bbq galore bar-b-chef, charbroil silver smoker, weber smokey mountain, weber one touch silver, and weber smokey joe.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:19 pm
Argon medium
medium

Best BBQ anywhere can be had about 40-50 minutes north of Charlotte in Lexington. Just take Interstate 85 North. If you need further directions - post back and I can get them for you.................Argon

Turbo Elite 4 Burner
K-mart Special Meco Charcoal

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:45 pm

Ole Hickory BBQ is the best in Charlotte!!!! They still use hickory wood and not gas to cook and you can see the meat cooking from within the restaurant.

Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:05 am
Brentk rare
rare

Anonymous wrote:
Ole Hickory BBQ is the best in Charlotte!!!! They still use hickory wood and not gas to cook and you can see the meat cooking from within the restaurant.

Not to be disrespectful to our guest, but I don't care for Old Hickory at all. It's not NC style BBQ, as they slather it with a thick red sauce that belies the owner's Georgia roots. There is something about the flavor and texture of the meat that puts me off, as well.

It's up near the University, which may be well out of the way if you are heading downtown.

A new place that opened in the past few months on South Boulevard is worth checking out. It's called Mack's and while their BBQ is not exactly NC style, either, it is very good. They also have a great beer selection, so if you like craft beer, you can get something good to drink, as well.

Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:34 am
Argon medium
medium

I'll stick to my recommendation and say it will be worth the drive to Lexington. The establishments "Lexington Barbecue" as well as "Speedys" are just off Business 85. Both have been featured on national shows that highlight Barbecue. I think one was on the Travel Channel and one was on the Food Channel. There are 2 types of NC barbecue - these 2 restaurants serve the "Lexington" style as opposed to the "Eastern" style. If you ever get stuck in Greensboro instead of Charlotte, you should try "Stameys". It is directly across from the Greensboro Coliseum..................Argon

Turbo Elite 4 Burner

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:49 am
Brentk rare
rare

Argon wrote:
I'll stick to my recommendation and say it will be worth the drive to Lexington. The establishments "Lexington Barbecue" as well as "Speedys" are just off Business 85. Both have been featured on national shows that highlight Barbecue. I think one was on the Travel Channel and one was on the Food Channel. There are 2 types of NC barbecue - these 2 restaurants serve the "Lexington" style as opposed to the "Eastern" style. If you ever get stuck in Greensboro instead of Charlotte, you should try "Stameys". It is directly across from the Greensboro Coliseum..................Argon

I would agree that the BBQ in Lexington is superior to anything you can find in Charlotte. If I had one place to go in Lexington, it would be Lexington Barbecue. It is one of the few places that still cooks with wood and you can smell and taste the difference. If you like some texture with your BBQ, make sure to ask for it "outside brown" and they will chop in the crunchy outside pieces. Another place I like in Lexington is Bar.B.Q Center, which is also a log burner.

Speedy's has a lot of fans, but the one time I went there, I find the BBQ to be very bland. They are a gasser, rather than a log burner, so the BBQ just never gets that wonderful smokey taste.

Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:14 am
Argon medium
medium

Brent,
Have you ever tried Stamey's? They use wood and have been around forever..............Argon

Turbo Elite 4 Burner

Post Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:24 am
Brentk rare
rare

Argon wrote:
Brent,
Have you ever tried Stamey's? They use wood and have been around forever..............Argon

I like Stamey's, too. Nothing more reassuring than seeing that big woodpile out front, even if the place has been remodeled and has lost some of its down home character.

If you head west on 40, I also like Deano's in Mocksville. The BBQ is good as is their pimento cheeseburger.

Post Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:11 am
Argon medium
medium

Brent,
What exit do you take off of 40 for Deano's? I was out that way last week with my brother and sister-in-law doing a wine tasting at RayLen vineyard and had we known, we could have checked it out.................Argon

Turbo Elite 4 Burner

Post Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:02 am
Brentk rare
rare

Argon wrote:
Brent,
What exit do you take off of 40 for Deano's? I was out that way last week with my brother and sister-in-law doing a wine tasting at RayLen vineyard and had we known, we could have checked it out.................Argon

Take Exit 170 and drive into downtown Mocksville. There is another BBQ joint in Mocksville called Hendrix but I have not tried it.

Post Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:45 am
Argon medium
medium

Thanks, Brent...I'll give it a shot next time I'm out that way..............Argon

Turbo Elite 4 Burner

Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:30 pm

If you guys are coming to lexington, let me know. I work there. I can be your "tour guide". hehehe

THere's actually a place on the out skirts called Back Country BBQ...GREAT!!

Just let me know!

E
Eat Mo' Jerky

Post Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:38 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

What about Lancaster's in Mooresville? I used to live there, and it is super. Exit 36 off I-77, go east toward town. Look for the signs. Rinehart rd, across from Burger King,. It bears off to the left coming from that direction right behind the shopping center. Good Eastern style bbq..... Their wings are the best next to mine.... :lol:

Post Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:49 pm
mitch

Well, i am in aggreement with whoever posted about Lexington NC. You will not get better than Lexington BBQ on Highway 64. No need to worry about directions, just get to Lexington on Interstate 85, about half an hour south of Greensboro, and about 50min north of Charlotte. Ask anyone you meet, and they will tell you how to get there.

mitch
http://www.allspicedup.biz

Post Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:24 pm

Actually, there are 2 pretty good Eastern NC style BBQ places in Charlotte. Bill Spoon's on South Blvd has been there forever. He learned his trade in Rocky Mount, years ago. Good service and excellent vinegary Pig meat. Also, Bubba's on the north side of town on Sunset, right of I77. Also, very good.

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint