Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint BBQ in Winston-Salem

BBQ in Winston-Salem

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:31 pm
ddog27 medium-rare
medium-rare

I will be taking another trip to North Carolina in October. But this time I will be in Winston-Salem. I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can go to get some good BBQ while I am there. Thanks!!

Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:47 am
siliconghost medium
medium

From a co-worker that works out of Winston-Salem:

"In North Carolina they have a different type of BBQ, it is vinegar based and not very good to me. I am from the Midwest where we have traditional smoked BBQ with a tomato based sauce. So based on those two facts, the Carolina BBQ can be found anywhere, but the traditional smoked ribs are not so easy to find. The closet I have come to what I like would be a chain called Smoky Bones."

I've heard that the Smoky Bones chain is very good though. I plan to hit one myself in Orlando next month.

- SG

Post Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:48 am
Brentk rare
rare

ddog27 wrote:
I will be taking another trip to North Carolina in October. But this time I will be in Winston-Salem. I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can go to get some good BBQ while I am there. Thanks!!

I presume since you have been to NC before that you know what NC BBQ is about. It's all about the smoked meat and the vinegar-based sauce (which differs between the eastern and western parts of the state) is meant to be drizzled on rather than slathered as they do in the rest of the country, where it is as much about the sauce as it is about the meat. Sauce can cover up lots of faults but in NC we focus on the meat.

Having said that, Winston-Salem is very close to Lexington, which is one of the capitals of NC BBQ and has produced the eponymous Lexington style. I would head down to Lexington #1. Search for it on the web and you'll find eveything you need to know.

Post Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:18 am
siliconghost medium
medium

Well there ya go...

I've been to Winston-Salem, but only found one BBQ place myself called "Pig Pickin's" which was OK, but nothing special.

Those were comments from my co-worker, not my own. I personally don't have a preference because I haven't experienced enough areas to judge.

- SG

Return to Best BBQ Joint