Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint BBQ Revolution in NYC

BBQ Revolution in NYC

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:15 pm

It seems that there are a million new BBQ places opening in NYC. My favorite for ribs is Spanky's BBQ on W. 43rd Street. They also have amazing smoked brisket chili.

Anyone else have some insight into great BBQ in NYC? There seems to be a new place opening every day.

Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:25 am
PJay rare
rare

I've been to Spankys twice now and haven't been all that impressed.

I tried the ribs the first time I went and they were a bit on the dry side, & not too much of a smokey taste at all.

The second time I tried the combo platter - brisket, pulled pork, 1/4 bbq chicken and ribs. The brisket was a bit dry, the pork didn't have any taste to it, the chicken was overcooked and the ribs altho smokier than last time, were still a bit dry. I do have to say that they double mac & cheese I had with the meal, was quite tasty. I did notice that the main smoker by the entrance was being serviced and maybe they couldn't cook their food the way they wanted to.

I do plan on going there 1 more time probably late in the year. They have just opened and so maybe they need to work out all the kinks.

It's tough heading to Spankys when Virgils is right around the corner, which I really enjoy.
There's also R.U.B. which I have read good things about, but which is also a bit pricey.
Dinosaur BBQ, up in Harlem gets mixed reviews depending on what forum I'm reading. I don't like to rely to much on reviews and am planning to head uptown, before the summer is over.

Out on LI where I live, Ricks Texas BBQ on Jericho Turnpike near Oheka Castle, is very good but also on the expensive side. The ribs I had were falling off the bone, had just the right amount of smoke, and were quite tasty. But paying close to $14 for 3 ribs, a side and a bottle of diet coke, isn't something I'm looking to do too often.
PJay
There is no shame in failing - Only in not trying...

Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:46 am
hydrobud rare
rare

if anyone is ever in the oneonta ny area check out brooks bbq.they are pretty good.

http://www.brooksbbq.com/
we grill em,you eat em!!

Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:20 pm
Brooksy rare
rare

I tried RUB, Paul Kirks place on 23rd st. I was very excited about it, as I have his book and use his recipies all the time. Unfortunately, it wasn 't that great. Ribs were a little tough, brisket a bit dry. The beans and the BBQ sauce were great though.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:11 pm
Shady earl

I have eaten in them all Virgils, Spanky's, Daisy May's, Blue Smoke, Brother Jimmy's, Pearson's except Rub which i will try this week and it's safe to say that NYC has alot of ok to fair BBQ nothing has knocked me on my butt (so to speak) Virgils was and is a tourist trap with incosistent quality and service, Spanky's looks like a restaurant in colorado or wyoming and while the aroma is fine the bbq is just ok at best, Daisy may's was the biggest disapointment ofthem all...mediocre raised to new heights, Blue smoke is justa little too fancy...it's bbq for god's sake..but the quality is slightly above average, brother jimmy's has got the mood and the bar right and produces good quality carolina bbq, pearsons while at time above average ..tends to overdo the smoke! I'll let you know about RUB..but word of mouth has been just ok!
Also have not tried Dinosaur BBQ uptown but the one in Syracuse is just alright
This is earl say'n howdy

Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:26 am

Trailer park Rick in Woodbury is very underwheming. He charges $3.50 per rib. Just average BBQ - nothing special

BlitzBQ!!

Return to Best BBQ Joint