Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint KC update

KC update

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:35 pm

Just ate at Fiorellas Jack Stack BBQ in down town KC. 7 people $150.00 for mediocre BBQ.
This was supposed to be one of the places to go in KC????
The spare ribs were tough!
The prime ribs were very tender but lacked flavor!
The lamb ribs were over cooked!
The chicken was very very dry!
The sides were good!
The beer was cold!
The service was good!
The waitress was cute!... very very cute!
But the whole thing was a bust for the money!!!!!!!!
Try a small mom and pop joint or go to Texas!

Better Luck Than I had, Zilla

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:36 pm
Zilla medium-rare
medium-rare

Sorry Folks I frogot to sign in. I wrote the review above.

Zilla

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:09 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Zilla! :D

I've heard lots of good reviews for Fiorellas Jack Stack BBQ but haven't made it there myself. Maybe the trip for mediocre food may have to be offset by a pleasant waitress. :wink: I hope to give it a try next time I'm up.

Feel free to join us in other conversation on the board. 8)

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:34 am

The BBQ at Jack Stack certainly was't inedible it just wasn't perfect, and for the premium they charge for the food there and the stellar reputation they seem to have and brag about themselves I found it wanting. I suppose my experience was an aberation for a great reputation is hard to come by and they seemed to have earned it the eyes of the people.

Now before all my hot air is expended on being overly critical I will recommend a little joint in Lawrence, KA about 40min west KC. called "Gran Daddys Q" his custom smoker sits in the parking lot out front, he cooks all the food himself and it is great. It is truly handmade BBQ. The place is sparse and more of a diner than a sitdown diner place and the food is priced accordingly. The Q is great, the sides are tops, the sauce is very tasty and the Spares and BBs are perfect. The meat is smoked in a combination of apple, peach and mesquite. Pork loin, pulled pork, burnt ends, and turkey are available but we didn't try them the first time out. I may try them before I leave. If you get over that way give it a try.

Zilla

Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:14 pm
Woody raw
raw

Zilla - next time try the Jack Stack in Martin City (south KC). This was the original (Smoke Stack BBQ at the time) and still the best. Weekends, reservations might be a good idea.

Woody

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:18 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Woody! :D

I hope to try that location next time I'm in the area.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:24 am
Zilla medium-rare
medium-rare

Thanks woody :)

Post Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:42 pm
dirtkilla

Jack Stack has some of the best sides in KC but their meat isn't my favorite(Get a ZingZang bloody mary while your there though!).

I prefer Oklahoma Joe's, the best BBQ in a Gas Station ever, you need to experience it to believe it. http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com.
My rankings best to worst for meat
Okey Joes
Zarda
Arthur Bryant's
Jack Stack
Smoke Stack

Other places I've never been but heard good things Johnnies BBQ, Wyandotte BBQ. As with any restaurant, there's good and bad days.

-JC

Post Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:17 am
WaterCruiser

The problem is you were in Kansa City and didn't visit Arthur Bryants. I believe no sitting President has visited Jackstack, however just about every President since Truman has visited Bryants.
http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/
After you peruse the website and have some of the world famous BBQ, you'll understand the meaning of this cartoon which was posted in the local Kansas City Star newspaper upon the death of founder Arthur Bryant.
http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/images/bring_sauce.gif
The best recommendation I can give is, not only do Presidents and celebrities eat there, but it's the favorite of most of us cops too.

Post Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:18 am
Longmill well done
well done

Welcome to our boards, WaterCruiser! :)

Do consider registering with us, then pull up a log and sit around our virtual firepit. :wink: Lots of good conversation while watching the your favorite meat roast on the spit.

Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Return to Best BBQ Joint