Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint North Carolina BBQ

North Carolina BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:53 pm
ddog27 medium-rare
medium-rare

Taking a trip to see some family in Durham, North Carolina and I was wondering were I can go to get some good BBQ. Any reccomendations you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:32 pm

There's a place called Bullocks in Durham that's great for eastern NC bbq. Just google Bullocks bbq and you'll find their web site. We always got their family style meals.

Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:50 pm

A place called Red Hot and Blue is my favorite in the Triangle area. It offers both wet and dry styles.

Post Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:37 am

You may also want to check out allan and sons in Hillsboro NC.

Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:14 pm
Argon medium
medium

Ddog,
Are you flying into Raleigh Durham airport or Greensboro?..........Argon

Turbo Elite 4 Burner
K-mart Special Meco Charcoal

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:51 pm
ddog27 medium-rare
medium-rare

Raleigh- Durham airport

Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:47 am
Argon medium
medium

Don't know much about Raleigh - if you end up in Greensboro, let me know- there is a good Lexington style restaurant named Stameys about 10-15 miles from the airport. Been around for years Woodfired good eatin................Argon

Turbo Elite 4 Burner
K-mart Special Meco Charcoal

Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:27 pm

I know that this post will come too late for your trip to Durham, but I hope that this will help others.

I live in Hillsborough, about 8 miles west of Durham and I have made it my duty (and my hobby) to eat at, and rate every BBQ joint that I can find in North Carolina. My data-base currently has 88 establishments in North Carolina that I have been to so far and I know that I easily have over 100 more to visit. Unlike some noted individuals, I don’t discriminate against Q joints that don’t cook over wood coals.

A short primer on NC BBQ: There are two distinct areas for Q in NC. The east part of the state roasts the whole hog and sauces it with a vinegar and hot pepper sauce (called “eastern style”. The western part of the state only cooks the shoulders and the sauce is has more of a tomato base (called “western style” or “Lexington style” (after the city that is most famous for this style)). In the Raleigh / Durham area, east meets west and you may see some tomato sauce in with vinegar. However, most Q joints in this area are truly “eastern style”.

My recommendation for the Durham area is as follows: “Byrd’s BBQ” on Cheek Road in northeast Durham is the best that I’ve experienced in Durham (and I have been to all of them). Next would be “Hog Heaven” on Guess Road. “Bullock’s” on Hillsborough Road, followed by “Dillard’s” on Fayetteville Street, and then “Old NC BBQ” between Roxboro Road and N. Duke Street brings up the rear. The “Q Shack” also exists in Durham, but they don’t do NC Q! Their’s is a Memphis style sauce.

If you are truly in search of some really good Q, then I would suggest an excursion to downtown Raleigh to “Clyde Cooper’s” or out to Hillsborough to “Tony’s”.

If anyone would be interested in how I rate any particular Q joint or a particular town / city / area, I would be more than happy to share my ratings and notes. If I haven’t been there yet, I will be soon!

Return to Best BBQ Joint