Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Favorite Kansas City BBQ

Favorite Kansas City BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:47 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

As a child growing up in Kansas City, MO, I always loved driving by Gate's BBQ Restaurant. The aroma that filled the air!!!!! I’ve always loved BBQ. Gates BBQ Sauce was available at Wal-Mart in Texas until a short time ago when they stopped carrying it. Then a search on the Internet led me to Martha Stewart’s WEB page where she featured Ollie Gates and some of his BBQ Recipes.
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml ... id=tvs2979
Now I make his sauce at home and love it!!!!!

My best friend had his wedding reception dinner at Gate’s restaurant. MMMMMM!!!!!

Next time I’m in K.C. I know where I’m goin’.

http://www.gatesbbq.com

Bob-BQN

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:49 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I must agree Gates is a wonderful place to fill your stomach!

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:50 pm
dkirn well done
well done

Also try Arthur Bryants next time you are in KC - they are right up there with Gates

Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:09 pm
Bruce

Houstons in Kansas City, Mo. has the best baby back ribs that you will find any where.

Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:52 pm

People, people. Everyone has their opinion, I guess.

For baby backs in Kansas City, only one place: Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue.

Beef brisket: Jack Stack, Gates, Bryants

Sauce: Gates Hot, Bryants, Jack Stack

Pork Ribs: Jack Stack, Haywards, Gates

"To each their own bone"

Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:33 pm
smokin' ed medium-well
medium-well

I would agree that Jack Stack, or Smoke Stack as people who remember it when it was called "Smoke Stack", has the some of the best BBQ in KC. But, the best item they have is their beans. You can not go there without trying their beans. Bryants used to have the best ribs - until all the "yuppies" started showing up. With that, they had to clean up the place and they just seemed to have lost their original flavor after that happened - plus their new clientele was enough to turn your stomach - LOL. Gates used to be a fine diversion after going to the Plaza - if you didn't mind the neighborhood they were in. But, for the best all around BBQ, Smoke Stack had them all beat.

Return to Best BBQ Joint