Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Earl Dukes BBQ does it for me!

Earl Dukes BBQ does it for me!

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:03 am
Larry

I grew up in a little town in South Carolina Where life is slow, people help each other, and the best BBQ was make by Earl Dukes. Earl was the ONLY cook I'd trust who was as SKINNY as he was. His plate was an "all you care to eat" deal, and I was always FULL before I'd enjoyed enough of the great food....then he'd stand by the door and ask, "Get all you wanted? COME BACK!" I live in Florida now, and EArl has left us, but the tradition is carried on in Orangeburg, and In Columbia. No trip to see Momma is complete unless I hit "Earl's" cuzza I grew up eating it. They're STILL talking about when I was about 8, sitting on one of Earl's picnic tables and thought I'd lean back against one of the poles holding up the roof, missed and cracked my head on the concrete floor!

But it is about the food. I'm drooling right now! His mustard based sweet vinegar sauce over his pulled pork is pure ambrosia! And he has a hash like I have never seen anywhere, so I can't even tell you. Toasted skins and hush puppies that even quiet crying babies in that place. Earl Dukes BBQ in Orangeburg, SC is FINE EATING!

Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:04 am
Larry

If anybody sees this that ever ate ar Earl Dukes, I'd like to hear from you at murray_l@frin.edu

THANKS!

Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:36 pm
bbqman3341 rare
rare

if it's anything like maurice bessinger's piggy park it has to be good. we get down to spingfield sc every great once and a while and never miss an opportunity to stop at maurice's. thanks for the tip i will keep an eye out for duke's next trip.

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:30 pm
JKB2241

Been there & ate that!!

The Dukes family has been trading title for best bbq in lower central South Carolina for as long as I can remember. The basic format (pulled pork, sauce, hash over rice) is almost unique from what I've seen across the country.

I've lived in Connecticut for over twenty years now and my BBQ fix is ALWAYS the first stop when I can get to Orangeburg. I've even had my family ship stuff when I really got desparate.

Return to Best BBQ Joint