Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Where do I go..... Tidewater area of Virginia

Where do I go..... Tidewater area of Virginia

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
datdwins raw
raw

Just moved to this area..... where do I go :?:

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:47 pm
Forrest rare
rare

Pierces dude! Load up the car and drive up I-64 to Lightfoot. Now, why should you believe a boy from Tallahassee, Florida, with a new grill? Becuase I grew up Tidewater and live there for over 30 years!

This will tell you the rest of the story:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=535
Forrest

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:26 pm
Grillzilla rare
rare

You have to try the County Grill on J. Clyde Morris, Yorktown and Red Hot and Blue in Williamsburg.
"The more you learn to grill the less I have to cook" My Wife

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:32 pm
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

You should also try the Beach Bully in VA Beach Va as well. Mainly a catering deal, they still serve in a small joint down at the oceanfront. Food is out of this world.
Craig
Oh, Grillzillas right too County Grill in Newport News is right on time as well. 70 miles away for me, and still worth the drive.

Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:06 pm
Forrest rare
rare

Craig wrote:
You should also try the Beach Bully in VA Beach Va as well. Mainly a catering deal, they still serve in a small joint down at the oceanfront. Food is out of this world.

Carig,

Is that he place on Laskin Rd (31st Street) and Artic Ave? I think they just opened when I move from my home town (Va Beach since 1962) to Florida. Never got to try 'em but I have also heard the BBQ is really good there from some of my old frinds at the Beach. Also, if it's the location I'm thinking about, I believe that it was my dad who designed that funny looking building way back in the early sixtys for his buddy in Newport News who was starting a short lived fast food burger chain named "Rich's" drive-in. How bout that for local trivia!!!

BTW, I first learned to BBQ from my dad who grew-up in NC and moved to Tidewater. Every year for as long as I can remember, my dad and some of his co-workers would cook a whole hog (head on) in the brick BBQ pit that they built next their office on J. Clyde Morris Blvd in Newport News for my grandfather bithday party. It was alway a huge turn out and the pig was always excellent.
Forrest

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:05 pm
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

Hey Forrest, good to hear from a local!! The place you are talking about is Frankie's place for ribs. Which by the way is quite awesome as well. Got a new one at Kempsville and Provedence Rd. now as well. Beach Bully is at 19th and Pacific. Open pit, smoke, the whole nine yards. If you ever come around this way, go there. You won't be sorry!
Craig

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:54 pm
Forrest rare
rare

Aaaaah yes! Frankie's Place for Ribs. Went there a number times back in the late eigties. Frankies should definitely make the list!

My first stop will be at 19th and Pacific the next time I'm heading back to Va Beach. Thanks!
Forrest

Return to Best BBQ Joint