Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint best in chicago

best in chicago

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:11 pm
Shadd

I have only seen a few posts in here concerning Chicago!!! And nobody mentioned my favorite yet.... FAT WILLY's - 2416 W Schubert. Baby backs to die for - brisket kicks butt - and pulled pork sandwiches rule!!! And to top it off.... for people like me... huge servings and they are really cheap. A full slab $15. :twisted:

http://entertainment.metromix.chicagotribune.com/top/1,1419,M-Metromix-Home-!PlaceDetail-23860,00.html

Post Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:57 pm
robmart raw
raw

I couldn't agree more. I've lived in Chicago my whole life and have been completely disgusted by our "boiled and baked" bbq ribs. Yuck. Isn't it great to finally have a real BBQ in town. Fat Willy's is fantastic! All of their meats are wonderful, but I also like the fact that EVERYTHING in the place (cookies, mac and cheese, beans, etc) is homemade.

Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:17 pm

EVER TRY TWIN ANCHORS OR EVEN BETTER...BABY JOE'S IN HICKORY HILLS??

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:28 am

Twin Anchors? Yes, I've been there. If there's one thing I'll never understand, it's chicago's fascination with Boiled and baked ribs. I'm sorry, but boiling ribs until they are gray and rubbery and then finishing them in the broiler with bbq sauce is NOT Barbeque. I don't care if the meat does fall off the bones. It's gray, rubbery, and tasteless. If you think Twin Anchors is good,...then my friend you are missing what REAL, slow cooked, wood smoked barbeque is all about. Take the time to make your way over to Fat Willy's. After that, I'm sure you won't ever go back to Twin Anchors.

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:05 am
Mog raw
raw

AMEN to whoever commented on Twin Anchors. I used to think they made great ribs in my younger days. I discovered barbecue several years ago and now I know.

Planning to try Baby Joe's this week. Looking forward to Fat Willys whenever I can get there.

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:13 pm

Your right Fat Willy's is the best B-Que food in town!!

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:17 pm
mvzee

Another GREAT spot is Smoke Daddy on Division

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:18 pm

Thanks, i'll try them in July - $15 for a full slab, awesome ! If u ever go to the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minn. , try Famous Daves BBQ - Best i'v had so far and I live in Philly, PA. !

carmag

robmart wrote:
I couldn't agree more. I've lived in Chicago my whole life and have been completely disgusted by our "boiled and baked" bbq ribs. Yuck. Isn't it great to finally have a real BBQ in town. Fat Willy's is fantastic! All of their meats are wonderful, but I also like the fact that EVERYTHING in the place (cookies, mac and cheese, beans, etc) is homemade.

Post Wed May 19, 2004 3:49 pm
hankgni medium-rare
medium-rare

Personally, home made are the best. However, that being said Chuck's BBQ (5557 W 79th St, Burbank, IL) is pretty good. They also have some Cajun stuff on their menu as well. I enjoy the Patio's ribs which aren't boiled but dipped in their ownTomato based BBQ sauce. Baby Joe's in Hickory Hills wasn't bad either. I have got to make a trip up to Fat Willy's; being from the South Side of Chicago and a die hard WHITE SOX Fan I don't venture up that way much; but it sounds like it will be worth a trip when the Cubbies are out of town.

Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:00 am

I loved Carson's on Wells St. downtown. We would order up 20lbs of rib tips and about 20 of us would chow down.

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:16 pm
ChubbyKid

Dude,

If you go to Carson's, I say forgo the ribs and get the "PORK CHOPS". I don't really know why they are famous for their ribs. :? :) :!:

Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:34 pm
Katman rare
rare

OK - I thought I would throw in my two cents. Have any of you tried out Salt Creek BBQ? They have two locations that I'm aware of. One in Glendale Heights on North Ave. and the other is in Elk Grove Village off of Devon Ave. The voodo sandwich (a hot link covered with pulled pork) is wicked. :twisted:
I knew someone from Memphis who swears this place was the closest thing to her favorite Memphis BBQ joint.
Katman
Wheaton,IL

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:54 pm
Big Lar

I live in the northern suburbs and my place for BBQ is called Hilary's. They have 2 locations. First one is the original. I believe it's in either Waukeegan or North Chicago on Green Bay rd (Rte 131) The other is in Grays Lake at Rte 120 & Rte 134. They have the best authentis BBq I've had in this area. It's all homemade and smoked on the premises. Try it, You'll like it

Post Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:12 pm

NOBODY HAS MENTIONED ONE OF MY FAVORITES

UNCLE BUB'S IN WESTMONT

GO BEFORE NOON ON A WEEKDAY....BECAUSE AT NOON THEIR IS A LINE OUT THE DOOR :wink:

Return to Best BBQ Joint