Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Best BBQ - Salt Lick

Best BBQ - Salt Lick

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:43 pm
noangel69 raw
raw

Best Joint: Salt Lick BBQ
Where: 18300 FM 1826,Driftwood, TX 78619 Phone: (512) 894-3117
Online: http://www.saltlickbbq.net/
What: They serve beef, sausage, pork ribs, turkey and Peach Cobbler
Why: This is the best bbq, bar none. The smell hits you as you drive around the bend. The atmosphere is great and very casual. The Family Style gives you heaping helpings of beef, sausage, and pork ribs, served with potato salad, cole slaw, beans, bread, pickles, and onions. This is by far the best value, just phenomenal. As long as you can eat, they keep the food coming!!! This is just great for the larger appetites! A slightly sweet sauce finishes with a hint of honey mustard, a nice change. The BYOB policy works great for a casual place like this. So throw on your boots, wear something old in case you spill, fill your cooler and make the drive for some good eats at the Saltlick.

Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:48 pm
Shaft28

I have to agree that the Salt Lick is pretty amazing BBQ.
Best part is they have a small outfit in the Austin Airport.
I stopped in EVERY time I came to Austin before my wife
moved up to Portland.
Simply the best in the area I could find.

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:37 pm
Edgar Black

If Salt Lick is the best you have found, you must never have been to Lockhart. All FOUR BBQ places here (Blacks, Smitty's, Kreuz Market and even Chisholm Trail) serve far better brisket, sausage and pork than Salt Lick does at about 2/3 the price. Salt Lick caters to large parties and tourists and their product is very inconsistant, depending upon which of their many pits it comes from. Take the short trip down to Lockhart next time your around, you'll really be glad you did!

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:59 pm
Steve in Austin

Salt Lick should not be mentioned in the same breath with the likes of Blacks, Smitty's, or Kreuz Market. Salt Lick is simply not very good bbq by Central Texas standards and you would be wise to go to Lockhart or Elgin or Taylor or Luling instead.

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:53 pm
Rick Schmidt

Hmm, at least a few folks here understand that Salt Lick is crappy. The guy from PORTLAND likes it though. Wonder how much good cue he gets up there...

Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:08 pm
Howard Coone

I've eaten barbecue for 40 years in Central Texas and these are the best.

1. Applebee's
2.Tony Roma
3.Chili's
4.Salt Lick
5.Rudy's

Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:01 pm
George Christie

But I recall you have a great affinity for a ceratin fine seafood restaurant in Houston (Since 1917). Thank you for your support and have a trout sandwich and some fried shrimp on me!

Return to Best BBQ Joint