Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Dayton, Ohio???

Dayton, Ohio???

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:07 pm
cmcadams well done
well done

Ok, a lot of you that have BBQ USA know about Millionaire's brisket, which is from City BBQ out of Columbus, and also in the Dayton area, but I finally ate at a place that burned down last year, but reopened a couple months ago... two locations in Dayton... Smokin', a BBQ Joint... Jim Teal is the owner, and I met him briefly... very nice guy who spent years on the Texas BBQ comp circuit. I didn't get to try everything, but his brisket would rate up there, and his spare ribs were VERY good. Sauce wasn't bad.. had a hint of whiskey to it, I'd guess. He makes his own potato chips whcih are served with every sandwich, and he has a good variety of sides.

if you're in Dayton, try it... ribs aren't sauced if you ask for them not to be, and everything else is served dry.
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:16 am
BingeAndPurge medium
medium

Make the quick run down to Cincinnati and head to one of the Montgommery Inn locations (I prefer "The Boathouse" one). They're kind of pricey and you should call ahead unless you want to wait 2 hours for seating, but the rib sauce is excellent. You could hit up a Reds game and then make the walk over to the Montgommery for the perfect day on the river.
Back in the land of poisonous nuts

Post Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:38 am
cmcadams well done
well done

B&P... been to the Montgomery Inn many times since being a wee one. The sauce is available in Kroger, etc., now. As far as ribs go, they're overrated, I think. Burbanks is much better, in Cincy. However, I'd put up Smokin's ribs to those. I'm sure there are some small places around Cincy I haven't been to, but when it comes to competition style bbq, at least Dayton has a couple of places, now.

Now I will say that Montgomery Inn has a much broader menu, so if you're looking for other stuff, their food isn't bad.... I just don't think of that as a real BBQ joint. Great view of the river from the Boathouse, though!
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Post Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:40 pm
BingeAndPurge medium
medium

Thanks for the advice. I've always wanted to try Burbanks. I'm from Columbus, originally, but my wife is from the Cinci area and we always end up at The Boathouse when we're visiting. I think it is overpriced, though. Maybe next time I'll take your advice and try to talk the in-laws into trying one of Gary's joints.
Back in the land of poisonous nuts

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:24 am
LMTC medium-rare
medium-rare

Ditt on Burbanks.

There are at least a half dozen places around Cincy in trailers that are decent, most seem to move yearly or more (not sure why, but it seems to be a pattern)...set up at a gas station or some store with a large parking lot usually. Currently one at the bottom of Colerain Ave. hill, intersection with Kirby I think, right before access to 74/75. Decent pulled pork, sauce is ok (get the hot). Haven't been by in over a year, but there was a trailer in the old Brentwood shopping center (Winton Rd. just N of N Bend) that was decent pulled pork and a killer sauce. One of the best sauces I'v ever had. Relatively new place in Milford, Gino's BBQ, I have yet to try. And then there's Wayne's backyard....killer pulled pork (so far), but he has yet to settle on a sauce that rivals what he used to get at Smackers (closed down, a tribute to the abysmal lack of apprecaition of Q in the area) in Mt. Repose. This was THE best sauce ever. A N. Carolina hill country slightly sweet smokey suace with a bite.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:09 am

FWIW, I had a much higher opinion of Montgomery Inn ribs until I visited Austin, TX a few years ago. Now things just aren't the same, lol. The Mongomery Inn style is slightly sweeter with an aftertaste kick and more tomato-based, less smoky. If you enjoy that style, you would like them plenty, they even have a restaurant at Kings Island and the Ted's Pail Ale is a good complementary amber-style beer to go with it.

For your rib fix, head to Burbank's if you're on the northern half of the city, or if you're closer to the river, cross over to Florence KY and give Famous Dave's a try. Same concept as Burbank's of slow-cooked meat with you adding your choice of sauces.

They broke ground on a new joint last month called Smoky Bones, supposed to be ready by fall 2005. Never been to one, here's hoping it's a keeper.

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:51 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board CraigQ_BBQz! :D

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:09 pm

Thanks Bob. We went to Houston last year to visit family, my first trip to Texas since boot camp in '84. Coming in from the Louisiana side on Highway 10, as soon as you cross the state line, say within 5 miles, you see this ridiculous sign that says, 'El Paso - 987 miles' or something to that effect. I wanted to take a picture but didn't have a camera ready. Just lettin' us know there's a town about a 1000 miles away that's still in Texas, lol. Gotta love that Texas pride.

Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:54 am
smokincincy

The Montgomery-Inn or "Rib's King" is one of the better returaunts in the area, I wouldn't really call it a BBQ joint. While they are famous for BBQ'ed ribs the sauce has a lot of garlic and in my opinnion better on chicken. If in the Cincy area and you just have to try this world famous flavor, the origional location in "Old-Montgomery" just north of Cincy is the place to visit. The history and atmosphere of the Montgomery location are well worth the 20 minute drive north even if your staying downtown.

Burbank's I think has a better sauce and they offer it in several levels of heat. The pulled pork is phenominal. If given the option of one or the other as far as flavor of food, Burbank's is a better option.

If you really want a taste of Cincy you need to give your smoke buds a rest and try Skyline or Goldstar(my Fav). Cincy is fammous for chile not BBQ :roll:

Years ago, there was a place east of Cincy called the Red RIver Cattle Company. They were brought to Cincy they 6lb challenge. If you could eat the whole 6lb steak, salad, bread, and baked potatoe..your meal was free. As far as I know they have been closed for years. They had a place in Montogemory for a while but that is now a Hooters or something. Since they closed we have been longing for a good place that serves food cooked on a real wood fire.

The only true BBQ place left I know of is near Hillsboro by Rocky Fork Lake called "The Frontier Grille". They still fire up the logs to cook their food. They also have the 6lb challenge if your really got the munchies! If you are up for about an hour drive from Cincy this is your best choice for a real "BBQ Joint". Not sure if they have a sauce, even A-1. The ribeye or filet, straight up, is the way I allways go.

Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:59 am
rogerja well done
well done

Montgomery Inn is NOT BBQ. The ribs are pressure-cooked, not smoked.

They used to be my ideal of ribs. Now I know they are "fall off the bone" and "mushy" - two thiings good ribs should not be.

There is a little place just off the National Road in Richmond, Indiana that is terrific, if any one is near the Hoosier state.

Return to Best BBQ Joint