Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Kansas City visit (w/photos)

Kansas City visit (w/photos)

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:32 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Our first barbecue stop in KC was last Friday afternoon at the Gates at 32nd and Main.

It's not a huge building but can still accomodate around 90 customers.

We'd just finished lunch at Stroud's about an hour before and weren't very hungry, so I picked the "short end" ribs from the menu.

Even though the ribs were sauced there were still a couple of bare spaces where I was able to taste the rub, and I liked it just fine. I'd never had Gates sauce before and didn't know what to expect; I've always read and heard that KC sauces tend to be sweeter but I didn't think Gates' version was too sweet at all. Plus it had a little bit of a kick and I liked it well enough to bring back some 8 oz. bottles to give out.

If I ever get back to Kansas City I'm going to visit Gates on an empty stomach so I can try a few more things.

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:24 am
BBQ Deputy

The next day we had tickets to see the White Sox and Royals play at Kauffman Stadium and a local acquaintance had graciously offered to be our chauffeur for the day. On our way to the game we stopped at LC's Bar-B-Q to pick up some lunch.

We couldn't exactly tailgate because Chris' SUV has a liftgate, but we did the best we could.

The burnt ends had a good meaty flavor and I could taste a little celery salt in the rub and sauce, which wasn't quite as spicy as Gates'. Chris chose a beef (brisket, I presume) sandwich and while I didn't taste it it sure looked good. LC's is also noted for their french fries and they definitely didn't disappoint, especially when they were fresh out of the fryer!

After the game (a 4-3 Sox loss, unfortunately) we went back to our B&B to wash up, and then we walked over to the Country Club Plaza location of Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue. The restaurant was packed and the table wait was 45-50 minutes so we chose to eat at the bar.

We started with the grilled jumbo shrimp appetizer and they were really good, especially with the dipping sauce. They weren't too spicy, either.

Mrs. Chicken isn't a big eater so we decided to split the Sampler combo platter, which features chicken, beef burnt ends, polish sausage, and spare ribs.

This should tell you what we thought of it. :wink: Everything was very good and I can't honestly say I liked any particular meat much more than the others.

When the person next to you takes a food photo it's perfectly acceptable to ask if you can photograph the plate as well. :lol: Although this didn't sit to well with Mrs. Chicken as a)it's bad enough that I take photos of my own food, b)the person was a Royals fan, and c)the person also happened to be a younger, attractive blonde. :twisted:

I had hoped to visit Deke's as well but the traffic flow out of the stadium parking lot took us in the opposite direction. On the plus side it left us a little more hungry for dinner and if we'd stopped I don't think we could've finished what we ordered at Jack Stack!

That's all the barbecue we managed in a day and a half but we enjoyed our visit, Kauffman Stadium is very nice, and perhaps we'll return someday after we've seen games in Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Pittsburgh.

While not barbecue related, here are some thumbnail photos of the non-barbecue parts of the trip.

Thursday dinner at the Iron Hawk in Iowa City.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

The Englert Theater.

After-dinner beer and espresso creme brulee at the Sanctuary Pub.
Image Image

Historical marker at the Lamoni rest area off of southbound I-35 on Friday morning.
Image Image

Friday lunch at Stroud's Oak Ridge Manor location in Kansas City. They're known for their pan-fried chicken and it was very good; Mrs. Chicken ordered a chicken sandwich and got more than she bargained for. :lol:
Image Image Image

Friday dinner at Winstead's, a small Kansas City burger chain that's been around since 1941. While not spectacular the burgers were just fine and the service was outstanding.
Image Image Image
Image Image

Saturday morning we walked around some of Country Club Plaza.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image

And some shots from Kauffman Stadium.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:26 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

Man, that looks like fun. I've never been there, but if I ever visit I'd like to check out Fiorella's Jack Stack, especially. That looks great!
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:36 am
BBQ Deputy

It was a good weekend and we could've easily spent a few more days there if it weren't for details like jobs and having to pay for things. :wink:

The Jack Stack restaurants are definitely upscale and really contrast with the joints like LC's.

Return to Best BBQ Joint