Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Famous Daves BBQ Joint

Famous Daves BBQ Joint

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:06 pm
Charles

Say, you want to talk about bbq... I myself know how to bbq. I come from a family of bbq- oligist, and we do nothing but bbq. Today, I was just flippin through the chanells as I am often doing on a saturday morning. When I stumbeled onto bbq university "wow" its a great show!!! People have often told me that I should open my own restaurant and I plan too soon! But living in Minnesota and growing up in Chicago has made all the difference in my tast buds. Originally, there was only one Famous Daves bbq pits in chicago and then he became a household name becoming one of the best bbq places to take your family in the world. Now that's amazing in of itself. Don't you think? However, I think if I had his grills I could beat him at bbqing! But for now, I'll just have to wait until I'm done with school before the whole world knows who I am. The true "King" of the Grill... although as far as grilling goes, I love Dave's because it's the closest thing to my own home cooking in both states Chicago & Minnesota for bbq.

Singed,
Charles E. Moses, Jr.
cmojazz@hotmail.com[/code]

Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:03 pm

DITTO!

Post Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:48 pm

I have eaten ribs at Famous Daves several times and have never really been impressed. They always seem dry and not very meaty. BUT, I do love the brisket there, mmmmm.

I would suggest trying the ribs at Roadhouse in Burnsville. I have never had a bad experience there yet.

Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:14 pm

IF IN CHICAGO, SKIP THE CHAIN CALLED FAMOUS DAVE'S AND GO TO BABY JOES AT 9300 S. ROBERTS ROAD IN HICKORY HILLS. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T FALL FOR THE NEON DOWN THE STREET CALLED THE "PIT".

Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:27 pm
wildbill raw
raw

I would have to say that Dave's is at best a decent place to get "St. Louis" style bbq, but they have fallen victim, in our area, to what happens in college town eateries, kids run the joint and the quality drops off sharply. Sadly I haven't had good Q in central Illinois since the IRS ran Big John outta business there in Peoria. I guess the search continues. :roll:

Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:44 am
Brian raw
raw

Anyone who recommends Famous Dave's must have led a sheltered childhood. There is absolutely nothing remarkable about this place. In fact, I would rank it less than average among BBQ joints.

If you want good BBQ from a "chain" then I'd go to Red, Hot, and Blue. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Another acceptable chain is Damon's

Post Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:31 am

I was a big fan of Famous Dave but they have seriously slipped as of late. I have been to several locations and they don't seem to be what they use-to-be.
Perhaps its that I have my own BBQ pit in the back yard and am more critical.
The last straw for me was the last meal at Dave's when they put too much liquid smoke in the brisket.
I refuse to use the stuff at home and almost choked on it when i bit into the brisket.
They still have great wings though and this is the only thing that will lead me back.

Monte Michaels
North Saint Paul, MN

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:37 pm

Going to Dave's for BBQ is like going to Long John Silver's for real seafood. You need to get out more.

1cajuncook

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:40 am
mappler raw
raw

I'm not sure how other Famous Dave's restaurants do, but the one in Oakton, VA makes mighty fine BBQ. Far and away the beef brisket is their best meat. Their pork is very tasty as well, but I think I make better pulled pork. I wish I made brisket as well as they do. I find all of their BBQ to be superior to the local Red, Hot and Blue.

Not much else for BBQ around here (outside of my backyard).

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:25 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I'd agree with Dave's brisket, it's certainly not bad. Never cared all that much for their ribs or other offerings (the corn is the worst).

For Q in the Minneapolis area, my vote goes to Baker's Ribs in Eden Prairie. It's pretty decent. Haven't ever been to the Roadhouse in Burnsville. Sounds like I have a new place to try.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:24 pm

Being from Rochester, MN, our choices are limited for great BBQ, however our choices do include Famous Daves, The top joint in Roch. is John Hardys Bar-B-Q with their pork spare rib with brisket bone on! Real Cherry/Apple wood smoked BBQ, special rub and all the love and attention given by the pit-masters to make the perfect dry rib! Another joint - Roscoes Ribs and Rootbeer has a Roscoes rib that is a short, sweet version of the abbreviated rib with a sneaky, hot, after-taste. But the pork of Famous Daves is a quick fix for the smoked rib greenhorn and as far as I'm concerned, won't quite make it to the top and outside of their garbage can lid. I hope that someday my ribs will give my fav, John Hardy's a run for their piggies!

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Being from Rochester, MN, our choices are limited for great BBQ, however our choices do include Famous Daves, The top joint in Roch. is John Hardys Bar-B-Q with their pork spare rib with brisket bone on! Real Cherry/Apple wood smoked BBQ, special rub and all the love and attention given by the pit-masters to make the perfect dry rib! Another joint - Roscoes Ribs and Rootbeer has a Roscoes rib that is a short, sweet version of the abbreviated rib with a sneaky, hot, after-taste. But the pork of Famous Daves is a quick fix for the smoked rib greenhorn and as far as I'm concerned, won't quite make it to the top and outside of their garbage can lid. I hope that someday my ribs will give my fav, John Hardy's a run for their piggies! wolfseeker@charter.com

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:37 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Here's the interesting thing about Famous Dave's. If you go to their restaurant (where they use a gas smoker with chunks of wood, keep them warm until ordered, then toss on the grill to give them a bark and heat up) their ribs pretty much suck. However, if you go to their booth at a competition (like Ribfest last week in Minneapolis), where they use a charcoal and wood fire and you get them right off the smoker, they are excellent.

I went to Ribfest twice over the weekend. Nobody in line at Famous Dave's because (as I heard at least 3 different people say) "we can get these any time". Wrong. If you ever get a chance to sample them at a competition, give it a shot.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:53 pm

:roll: :roll: When in the Philly area there is a great bbq spot !!Blue Steel's.The best bbq and the coldest beer.The town is Eddystone.A suburb of Philly.

Return to Best BBQ Joint