Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Bay Area BBQ

Bay Area BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:19 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Is it my imagination, or is the San Francisco Bay area blessed with extraordinary live fire cooking?

Brunch at the Bar Tartine--offshoot of the popular Mission District Bakery, where they smoke Yukon Gold new potatoes over alder, to be served with black garlic jam and pickled ramp (wild leek) aioli.

First dinner at Slanted Door in the Ferry Terminal, where I had honey hoisin BBQ spare ribs; mesquite grilled tamarind pork belly, and grilled octopus with lemongrass chili dipping sauce.

Second dinner (rough work, but someone has to do it) at Hi Lo BBQ in the Mission District in San Francisco. (The "Hi" represents high heat from the oak burning grill in the open kitchen. "Lo" comes from the barbecue pit in the basement. Highlights? Brassicas roasted in the embers. Thai brick chicken. Smoky brisket with spinach oil and micro-greens (hey, this is southern California).

In Berkeley, I ate at a super authentic Japanese yakitori bar called Ippuko. Chicken skin, chicken necks, chicken oysters, even keel bone grilled over a screaming hot bincho-tan charcoal fire. You haven't lived until you've tried the tsukune (grilled chicken meatball served with jidori egg yolk). And plenty of potent shoju (Japanese "vodka") to wash it down.

Where do YOU go for primo barbecue and grilling in the Bay Area?

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:09 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Next time you're in the Napa Valley hob-nobbing with Chiarello and Keller, make sure you visit Smoakville. These guys do it right!

http://www.smoakville.com/Menu.html
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Fri May 02, 2014 3:50 pm
batman raw
raw

Return to Best BBQ Joint