Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Santa Maria CA ??

Santa Maria CA ??

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:15 pm
ab4376 raw
raw

I'll be in Santa Maria CA (south of San Luis Obispo, north of Santa Barbara) in a few days and have heard that it is quite a barbeque town. Aayone have any opinions, suggestions, comments?

Post Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:37 pm
weekend cook well done
well done

I've cooked the Santa Maria Tri-Tip from the BBQ USA book. The rub is excellent. The recipe has a salsa that goes with it but I have to abstain from making a comment as I dont like salsas. My wife said it was good. When you are there, I would definitely look for someplace that has this on its menu.
Louie aka Caveman Cooking Over Fire.

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:55 am
Phantom medium
medium

ab4376-

I am originally from Santa Maria, Ca. I know all the BBQ places there. Here is a list that you should try :

The Hitching Post located in Casmalia, just outside of Santa Maria;
The Far Western- located in Guadalupe just west of Santa Maria;
Shaws Restuarant- In Santa Maria
The Swiss Chalet- In Santa Maria if it is still open
Jocko's- In Nipomo, just outside of Santa Maria

and if you are going northbound, stop in at McClintock's in Shell Beach for some of their famous Turkey Nuts.

Most of these places are featured in Steve's book " BBQ USA". You can't miss with any of them and if you are in the area, you don't want to miss them. They are all fantastic. The Hitching Post is my personal favorite as they have the variety.

Good eating.

Post Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:19 pm

i have to agree with Phantom on 2 of his steakhouses...

I go to pismo beach alot and i have eaten at both McClintock;s and Jocko's... Both are excellent..I have only eaten breakfast at Jocko's but they give you HUGE portions, i order the bacon and eggs and i think they give ya a 1/2 pound of applewood smoked bacon...McClintock's is very busy and expect to have a wait, i recommend the Baseball cut steak(medium Rare and for an appetizer(and this might gross a few of you out) turkey nutts..

Another Great place to eat (Hamburgers) is Ye Old Custom House in Avila Beach

Return to Best BBQ Joint