Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint HICKORY PIG GAINESVILLE GA

HICKORY PIG GAINESVILLE GA

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:12 am
SCOTT

THE HICKORY PIG
3605 THOMPSON BRIDGE RD
GAINESVILLE GA 30506
770-503-5235

FOR 25 YEARS I HAVE BEEN COMPLILING A LIST OF ALL THE 'GOOD' BBQ JOINTS INTHE STATE OF GEORGIA. TO DATE I HAVE OVER 300 JOINTS THAT QUALIFY. I'VE EATEN AT ALL OF THESE AND ABOUT 2000 OTHERS THAT DIDN'T CUT THE MUSTARD. THE HICKORY PIG IN GAINESVILLE GA IS BY FAR THE BEST THE STATE HAS TO OFFER. ALL COOKED OVER SMOLDERING HICKORY WOOD. THE RIBS ARE SUCULENT, THE PULLED PORK IS LEAN AND TASTY, THE SLICED TENDERLON SMOKED TO PERFECTION, THE CHOOPED BBQ IS NOT AS GOOD AS THE PULLED OR SLICED BUT REMAINS AN EXCELLENT DIVERSION. MY FAVORITE IS THE OUTSIDE SLICED. THE STEW IS MEATY, FLAVOR PACKS AND A MEAL IN ITSELF. THE BEST JERKY ISN'T THE KIND THAT JERIMIAH JOHNSON PULLED HIS EYE TEETH OUOT CHOMPING. IT'S TENDER, FLAVORFUL, AND THE PROPRIETOR, PHIL BEAUBIEN IS CONSTANTLY OUT OF IT. HIS 'NO MILK' MILK SHAKE IS ABOUT 3000 CALORIES OF DESERT. THEY ALSO TOAST THIER BREAD HERE OVER LIVE HICKORY COALS. IT'S THE BEST I'VE COME ACROSS, TRY IT AND SEE IF YOU AGREE, THE MEAT IS SO GOOD AND SO GENERIOUSLY SERVED THAT HE DOESN'T NEED TO MASK ANYTHIGN WITH HIS SAUCE, THE SAUCE THOUGH WONDERFUL, IS MORE OF A NO SAUCE BECAUSE IT'S NOT HOT, SWEET, VINERGERY. THICK OR THIN. IT'S JUST A PERFECT ACCOMPANIMENT.

Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:05 am
phil

i ate here three years ago. it's a tiny littel road side place with 3 tables and 9 chairs. the owner is friendly cheerful fellow, and the bbq id first rate. the stew is best in class. my mouth is watering for some more now. look for the smoke you can't miss it it's about 8 miles off hwy 400 between dahlonega nd gainesville

Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:26 pm
bbqman3341 rare
rare

you know how robert redford sat there in the snow gnawing on rawhide tough beef jerky in the film jeremiah johnson? well the jerky at the hickory pig aint like that. it's marrinated in a secret flavor enhancing elixir that was brought out of the hills by cherokee indians prior to their removal in the trail of tears then slow cooked over smoldering hickory coal. it's soft enough to eat on white bread and too tasty to pass up the second slice. but the jerky is just something to wet your appetite whiel you wait for the main course of ribs, chciekn and pulled pork, great friendly service and THE BEST BOBBYCUE THIS SIDE OF MEMPHIS

Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:42 am
mr. p.

always look for a wood pile and the scent of hickory smoke in the air. the hickory pig has the thickest, meatiest most savory stew we've ever tasted. the sandwiches are huge and always made to order. he can customise a plate to meet any body's taste buds. the unique 'no milk' milk shake keeps the jennie craiger's out side. it's rich, and thick enough to keep a hari christna chanting for two hours without an airport. pete rose would be in the hall of fame had he eaten here more than once. it's the real deal! if you want the best in southern bbq. pulled pork, slow cooked hand sliced ribs, boneless marinated chicken piled high you owe yourself a trip to the hickory pig. the mission statement at the pig says it all......over deliver and under sell. grade A beef jerky and ice cold pickles. when my wife and i were first dating she was a died in the wool, hard boiled vegetarian. after two trips to the hickory pig she stuck a fork in the back of my hand as i tried to slip a rib off her plate. try the hickory pig, ole phil will make a beleiver out of you too.

Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:16 am
hickory pig

you have no idea how much this pains me after all these years, but his chicken is better than mine

Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:26 pm
col h.p. sanders

think about andy taylor drinking a cup of good coffee in aunt bea's kitchen and then saying.....ummmmmmmm, mmmmmmmm, good.
this bbq is indescribably delicious

Return to Best BBQ Joint