Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Gerald's Pig and Shrimp

Gerald's Pig and Shrimp

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:38 am

Anyone ever eat at Gerald's Pig and Shrimp on Tybee Island in GA? I'm curious about it - it's a walk-up-eat-outside bbq stand from what I've read. I'm thinking of giving it a shot.
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:15 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Regardless of whether or not anyone's been there, based on the name and your description you need to check it out! :lol:

Brad

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:32 am

Reporting back:

So, I'm going to give them a good review on Trip Advisor as that seems to be how a lot of people find the place, but I'm going to give it to you guys honestly...

Get the shrimp po' boy and the limeade. The limeade is freshly squeezed and the po' boy is hearty with a good sauce on it. And the shrimp are local Georgia-caught-wild-shrimp. But the Q...

I got both the pork sammich and brisket sammich. To be honest, they both had almost no smoke flavor. They could've been out of a crock pot honestly. Also, for $7, most Q joints would give you a side or two, but here you just got the sammich with a little cup of sauce.

Now I saw at least 3 BIG smokers sitting around, but none of them were going so I'm wondering if he only fires them up for big catering jobs (which he gets good reviews for). I don't think anything I ate came out of one.

Now, I didn't try the ribs, but I'm not sure that it's a good idea to shell out the cash for ribs to a joint that can't seem to get the pulled pork right...

Anyway, not a total loss (just make sure to get the po' boy and limeade) and the atmosphere was pretty great.

http://www.thetybeetimes.net/2010/09/sp ... gust-2010/
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Return to Best BBQ Joint