Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Smoke Ring's BBQ, Hiawassee, GA

Smoke Ring's BBQ, Hiawassee, GA

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sun May 22, 2011 9:40 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

When we first arrived, we thought it was going to be great, from the aroma of the smoke lingering around the property.

We sat down and looked at the menu. I almost did the wing challenge, but decided I didn't want to mess my system up before the Eggfest. :lol: I did, however, place an order of 6 Spicy Ranch Wings that my wife and I shared. The wings here seemed to be smoked, then fried (without breading). They were interesting and pretty good!

Image Image

Image Image

I wanted to try a lot of their different items, so I got the Deluxe Rings Platter. I ordered the baby backs, pulled pork and brisket. My wife got the Pulled Pork Platter.

Image Image

I noticed where they had Peach BBQ Baked Beans and Fried Corn on the Cob, so I got those on the side. Well, EVERYTHING (except the wings) was completely dried out and not good at all. We had to sauce the heck out of everything to even be able to swallow it. The brisket was also sliced in the wrong direction. Even the corn was fried to the point to where all the kernels were shriveled up.

Take a look at the rib....completely oversmoked, to the point to where it was almost leather-like.

Also, the sauces were way too runny in my opinion, but I do know that is a personal preference of mine. And they all had this sort of nasty sweetness....maybe too much molasses, who knows.

And what did we pay for all of this? Our left arms... :roll:

I wouldn't have minded the cost if the food was good. But it wasn't. I will not be going back to this restaurant. Even the service was horrible. The waitress never refilled our drinks, took forever to pick up the check, and when she did pick up the check, it took over 10-15 minutes to get our credit card back. It makes me worry when the waiter or waitress has my card for that long. I will be paying attention to my bank statements... :roll: :x

Funny thing is, the Meet and Greet for the Eggfest was that evening. Everyone I spoke to, it seemed, had gone their earlier in the day as well. We all had the same reviews..... Sorry, Smoke Rings, but you have some work to do!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun May 22, 2011 10:25 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's a shame. Hopefully that day was just a hiccup due to more business than usual and not indicative of what Smoke Rings normally puts out.

Brad

Return to Best BBQ Joint