Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Visit: Mojos on 86th (Johnston IA)

Visit: Mojos on 86th (Johnston IA)

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Mon May 02, 2011 10:37 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This isn't a barbecue post and AFAIK the restaurant uses either a broiler or gas-fired grill, but the concept could certainly be applied to live-fire cooking with charcoal or wood.

On the last weekend of every month Mojos on 86th serves cold-smoked filets and scallops. I didn't find out the details but from what I understand the beef and shellfish are cold-smoked ahead of time to receive a light smoke flavor without being cooked, and then they're broiled or grilled when an order is placed. I ordered the surf & turf combo, which came with a fresh black bean salsa and smashed potatoes with potato crisp garnish.

I don't do a lot of finer dining so it's not like I have a huge history to compare with, but this was easily one of the best meals I've ever had. The flavors were outstanding, the beef was extremely tender, and the scallops were just slightly firm. I found myself cutting both as thin as possible in order to get the maximum enjoyment out of the eating process.

The filet, scallops, and surf & turf are all priced at $32 although the sauce is used only when the scallops are ordered (the beef gets a slightly different treatment). Usually when I spend this kind of money I'm paying for at least 2 meals and sometimes 3, but this was a great once a year treat.

Brad

Return to Best BBQ Joint