Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Recommendations for St. Louis?

Recommendations for St. Louis?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:21 am
Griffin well done
well done

I fly out to St. Louis tomorrow for a class all week. Would love to try out some of their barbecue. Does anybody have any recommendations for me?

Post Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:25 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've never eaten there but Pappy's Smokehouse seems to consistently get positive reviews. Bandana's is a regional chain that's not too bad although it's been a few years since I've been to one.

And if you've never eaten at a White Castle this is a good chance to visit one!

Brad

Post Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:31 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Yeah, I was looking at Pappy's. Might hit that up. Just got told what my per diem is. $20 for lunch and 33 for dinner. Sure I'll find something. Not sure I want to try White Castle. I might, tho.

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:28 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Wasn't able to get over to Pappy's Smokehouse. Was kinda disappointed about that, but when I found out how far away it was from where I was staying, what time I got out of classes and that they closed when they ran out of bbq.....it just wasn't in the cards for me.

Did eat Bandana's the first night. The baby back ribs did have a nice smoke ring on them and they were moist, with a bit of pull to them, but the sauce they put on them was just horrible. And the two sauces I got on the side...yuck. The sausage was mediocre. I can find better in the grocery stores in Texas. Potato salad had too much sweet relish in it, gross. The only really great part of the meal, besides the company was paying for it, was the fried okra. That was pretty tasty. I would not recommend the place to anybody.

St. Louis can keep its bbq if that was a good representation. I don't want any more of it.

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:17 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

If you ever get back to the St. Louis area, you do have to get to Pappy's. It is some of the best barbecue that I've ever had and I've been to more than a few 'cue places around the country. It is the only restaurant, of any kind, in our travels, that my wife has said "We're coming back tomorrow." after the first time we ever ate there.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to Best BBQ Joint