Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Q Barbeque in Midlothian (Richmond), VA

Q Barbeque in Midlothian (Richmond), VA

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:33 am
Tosprops medium
medium

I was passing through the Richmond, VA area recently with my wife and daughter. We decided to stop and get a bite to eat. We were near a couple of BBQ joints, but I wanted to try a BBQ restaurant I hadn't yet visited. Near us was Q Barbeque in Midlothian. So, that's where we stopped.

The dining area was large, open, clean looking, and well laid out. There were trophies all over the restaurant from competitions the cooking team has won including some grand championship trophies.

On the menu was chicken, brisket, ribs, and pulled pork. We decided to get the four meat combo that came with all four meats. I felt that the prices were fair. You order at a counter and a waiter delivers your food to your table. Behind the counter you can see into the kitchen area. They were also cooking chicken thighs in a cooker behind the counter.

All three of us shared the four meat combo and there was plenty of food. The portions were generous. In fact, there was a little left over. Not a bad deal to feed three people.

They serve three sauces: Original, Sa-weet, and Hotzing. The sauces were OK, but not my personal favorite. There is a strong molasses content to all three. The Hotzing has a slight bit more heat, but not really hot, in my opinion.I used a little sauce for the fries. The meat didn't need any sauce at all.

The chicken was superb. It was very flavorful, lightly seasoned, slightly smokey, and very moist and tender. It was the best BBQ chicken I have ever eaten in a BBQ restaurant.

The pulled pork was also very good. Like the chicken, it was moist, well seasoned with the right amount of smoke and tender.

The brisket was good and moist but very well done. There were no slices, just crumbles of beef. I made a sandwich with slaw with it. It had a nice beef flavor and wasn't dry or tough.

The ribs tasted great and looked great but, they were under cooked. It was a struggle to get some of the meat off the bone and some of the outside meat was too stringy too eat. Maybe, I just got a bad batch.

We ordered fries, mac&cheese, greens, and slaw. While not something to rave about, they were all acceptable.

Q BBQ is a cut above many other BBQ restaurants that I have tried. The prices are fair and the portions are generous. I enjoyed the food, the atmosphere, and the friendly service. The chicken is superb and pulled pork is worth the trip. I look forward to going back and I will give them another chance at the ribs.

Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB - For Sale
Weber 18" WSM
UDS
Bubba Keg
KCBS CBJ

Return to Best BBQ Joint