Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Atlanta BBQ spots?

Atlanta BBQ spots?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:43 am
jmartis well done
well done

Any folks around Atlanta know the best spot(s) to get some Q? Gonna be traveling there some and need my fix!
Low n Slow - that is the tempo

Large Big Green Egg
CG Super Pro w/ SFB
I'm not religious, but God bless Texas BBQ!

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:48 am
Married_Man medium-well
medium-well

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:55 am
B-Berg rare
rare

those post pretty much cover it. but i'll add my 2c

I live in northern suburbs so can't comment on the southern places as I don't make it out there much, but I hear there are some excellent spots.

I have been to the following
Swallow at the hollow
smokejack
KC Pit
Spiced Right
Dreamland
Pig n Chick
Old Hickory House
Shane's rib shack
Fatt Matt's
and a few others I can't remember off hand.

I think my top favorites are Swallow, KC and smokejack Wife loves KC, I think because there sides are consistent, but Swallow is better IMO, maybe because it's in walking distance :D

I've only been to Fatt Matt's once and think its ok, flavor was good, but I like my spare ribs trimmed, and there was ALOT of fat on them, sides were good. I'd try it again.

Spiced right is ok, I don't like their sides at all, but like the meat is consistently good and I like their sauce.

My least favorites are Dreamland (too much salt on the ribs) Pig n Chick (didn't like anything about it) and Shanes (more like fast food, but it works when I need a fix for lunch).

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:19 pm
weconway rare
rare

If you're heading up to the north-west suburbs (Marietta area), I'd head to Williamson Bros. or David Poe's BBQ.

WB has pretty good BBQ for this neck of the woods, and the pulled pork sandwich from DP's I got at a local food festival was one of the best I've had in Metro Atlanta.
Big Steel Keg
Bubba Keg Convection Grill

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:21 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This thread might help:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2054

Actually, there might be even more threads like this in the Best BBQ Joint forum where the above post came from. Good luck! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:15 pm
weconway rare
rare

weconway wrote:
If you're heading up to the north-west suburbs (Marietta area), I'd head to Williamson Bros. or David Poe's BBQ.

WB has pretty good BBQ for this neck of the woods, and the pulled pork sandwich from DP's I got at a local food festival was one of the best I've had in Metro Atlanta.

I finally got to eat at Dave Poe's BBQ today. It was absolutely fantastic. I think it's certainly the best place in this neck of the woods, perhaps in all of Atlanta.

Had the pulled pork, brisket, okra and baked beans with some sweet tea. Awesome awesome awesome!
Big Steel Keg
Bubba Keg Convection Grill

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:11 pm
Fearnot raw
raw

Love Dave Poe's. In other fallout from the Sam & Dave breakup, the other Dave is part of Community BBQ here in Decatur (on Clairmont near N. Decatur Road). I've been there three times - so far - the pulled pork is awesome and the folks there are too. Go!

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:45 am
adamlee34 medium-well
medium-well

In Snellville there is this little BBQ joint, hidden from the road, right near Emory Eastside called Uncle Bettys, I think they have some of the greatest Que in this area. Great pulled pork and amazing ribs. They also have 3 really good sauces, amazing slaw and over the top cornbread.. I've never had cornbread that I wanted as bad as I crave that stuff.

http://www.unclebettysbbq.com/

From what I understand its a family owned joint bbq competitors who let the family run the restaurant while mom and dad are out competing. I went there one time and the pitmaster was easily a 16 year old kid!
-Happy Grills!
Adam Lee

Chargriller DUO w/SFB
http://adamlee34.blogspot.com/

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:18 pm

My favorite is Hudsons in Douglasville or Wallaces in Austell, I also like Iron Horse in Villa Rica

Return to Best BBQ Joint