Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Wilber's BBQ in Goldsboro, NC

Wilber's BBQ in Goldsboro, NC

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:28 pm

On the way to coastal North Carolina off Hwy 70E a few miles down from the Goldsboro exit sign on the right, there is a BBQ place that still uses the old fashioned way of cooking pork (vinegar based) BBQ. As far as I know, they still get up around 3 am to start the grills in a cinder block house out back and slow cook the pigs (Thursdays are BBQ Beef nights-my favorite) . It doesn't look like much on the outside but the food is old fashioned and very good. I think this place has been in business forever (Probably 50 years or so) .

The indoor decor is rustic and old fashioned...knotty pine walls with a bar up at the front where you can get breakfast/lunch to go or stay and chat with a few friends over breakfast or lunch. Pictures of past presidents who have visited Wilber's are on the walls next to framed military memorobilia and local news clippings, etc. Side dishes are standard like potato salad, beans,coleslaw, and the best hushpuppies you will get anywhere. I remember the deserts as being a choice between apple or peach pie with ice cream if you choose. Have all this with the sweet tea. We don't get sweet tea here in Texas!

They also have other meats offered like fried chicken and such but the real draw is the BBQ.

I have not been there in over 5 years and I can almost taste it and see myself sitting there next to the locals enjoying the friendly atmosphere and eating some of the best pork BBQ I have ever had. This place is a great stop on the way to and from Atlantic Beach.

Dress is very casual, prices are low (last time I went, it was somewhere around 6 dollars for the entire meal which is meat, two veggies, deserts, hushpuppies, tea).

I am getting hungry as I type this. LOL

Post Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:49 pm
ChefThom

Love Wilbur's. A great place to grab some most excellent Q. However, my favorite is Stephenson's BBQ. It's just off I40 east of Raleigh on the way to Wilmington. They too get up early and cook over wood. Dang good stuff. Their sides are old country foods and extremely tasty.

Dang I better go get a butt out of the freezer for this weekend...

Return to Best BBQ Joint