Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint BBQ in Los Angeles?

BBQ in Los Angeles?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:44 pm

I've tried Pecos Bills, it was OK. I tried Johny Reb's, it was better. What do you guys think about Joey's or Lucile's?

Any "other must" try places?

Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:47 am

Try Ribs USA in Burbank or Torrance. They're the best I've had in LA. THe one in Burbank is right near the NBC studios so there's a;so a good chance of a celebrity sighting, as well.

Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:20 pm

I have a Lucille's by my house (Lng Beach) they serve excellent BBQ!

Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:01 am

The best barbecue places in Los Angeles are Phillips BBQ and Woody's BBQ (they happened to be cousins). There is no seating in these places, but the food is DELICIOUS.

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:58 pm

If you've ever been to even a decent BBQ joint in Texas or Memphis you will be very disappointed. Closest thing I've had to real, smoked, tasty fall off the bone BBQ (I'm a rib man and prefer texas style though I love it all!) is BBQ King in the downtown area. They can be, uh, unreliable in the consistency of their product and service and I hate the location but it is the only place in LA that even attempts to make real BBQ (meaning not grilled...smoked, not baby back...spare, and not just slathered with crappy, bland, overly sweet sauce...but smoked and covered in delicious rub...also why is so hard to find vinegar based sauces outside of texas?) Hope this helps and keeps you away from the ghetto bbq and all the overpriced grill happy joints.

Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:52 pm
ADfan medium-rare
medium-rare

Lucilles is a good place and has a very consistent taste. I do enjoy their beef ribs.

BBQ King has more of a homemade taste. The taste isn't always the same but it always has a lot of flavor. Sometimes the wait for your food can be too long.

Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:27 pm

Try Chris 'n' Pitts in Bellflower(on Artesia and Bellflower) and Downey(I think). cheap prices and good food.

Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:40 pm

There is a place near the corner of Alondra Blvd. and Avalon St.?(City of Carson or Compton) that has good (southern?) home cooked ribs. It is Called "Jay Bee's" Just look for the small brick building. I think it's where San Pedro St. and Avalon St. come together. Don't think they have any tables so food is to go. They also have another place in Garden Grove, Ca.(on Knott Ave. S. of Katella)

Post Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:24 pm

"The Pig" on LaBrea has some decent pulled pork, but it's a little dry, and the sauces they offer with it are pretty pathetic.

Moving to North Carolina has really been a huge step up for BBQ for me!

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:29 pm
JMan466 raw
raw

If you are anywhere in the San Fernando Valley area, Dr. Hoggly Woggly's Tyler Texas BBQ is a good bet. The brisket is fork tender and the bread is fresh, In Thousand Oaks, you can visit Bandit's or Thousand Oaks Meat Locker - which is more of a open air wood cooking style rather than smoking (I prefer smoking, but the sliced tri-tip is tasty from there).

Regards,
Jason

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:51 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board JMan466! :D

Post Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:33 pm

JMan466 wrote:
If you are anywhere in the San Fernando Valley area, Dr. Hoggly Woggly's Tyler Texas BBQ is a good bet. The brisket is fork tender and the bread is fresh, In Thousand Oaks, you can visit Bandit's or Thousand Oaks Meat Locker - which is more of a open air wood cooking style rather than smoking (I prefer smoking, but the sliced tri-tip is tasty from there).

Regards,
Jason

I ate my fair share of BBQ at Bandit's while in college!! I do miss it....Excellent place.
Oven and iPod are bad four letter words

Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:59 pm
Good Q rare
rare

JMan466 wrote:

Regards,
Jason

Go to Dr. Hoggly Woggly's for 2 things: Brisket and Sweet Potatoe Pie. You can't go wrong. I'll have to try Bandit's though.

Return to Best BBQ Joint