Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Shelby NC

Shelby NC

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:27 pm
From A Buick 8 medium-rare
medium-rare

I will be in Shelby NC for a week at the end of October. Any suggestions of some good BBQ places to check out. I have been there before for one day trips and i have eaten at Bridges.

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:09 am
From A Buick 8 medium-rare
medium-rare

I found a website on the North Carolina Historic BBQ Trail.

This has several places for me to try; I will be in Shelby NC for work from Oct 27th and come home on the 31st. I thought while I was down there I would do some traveling after work and see what good eats I can find.

Based on their list of 25 places I will be starting near the end of the trail in Shelby (on my last trip I ate a number 24 Bridges). After my trip I will report back.
I have a CG Duo with SFB (very new to smokin).

Post Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:24 am

Sorry that I didn't see this thread sooner!

I highly recommend Bridge's over Alston Bridge's in Shelby!!! I found Bridge's Q to be moist and tender (even the large chunks) with a slight smoke flavor. The "Lexington" style dip was spooned over the pile of pork and had a slightly sweet taste to it. - On the other hand, I found Alston Bridge's Q to be slightly dry and chewy and chopped a bit too fine for my liking. The dip was good (not sweet) and once again spooned over the pile of pork. The Q-slaw was better at Bridge's, but the hushpuppies were much better at Alston Bridge's.

Just my own humble opinion, but I've rated over 215 Q-joints in North Carolina so far (I still have well over a hundred more to go, at least). On a 1-5 scale with 1 being terrible and 5 being the best ever - Bridge's got a 4.5 and Alston Bridge's received a 3.0.

Anyone out there concurr or disagree?

Post Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:10 am

In Mooresville, try "Lancaster's Bar-B-Que".

According to my "A Q Review", Lancaster's chopped BBQ sandwich was: "Fairly moist and tender with only a slight smoke flavor. They put a dill pickle chip on the middle of the outside of the bun. Didn't add anything positive. Sandwich seemed kinda greasy. Yellow slaw was chopped very fine with LOTS of slightly tangy yellow dressing - not bad. Tea was okay too."

I rated Lancaster's a 3.5 on my 1-5 scale.

- - - - - - - - - -

In Charlotte, I'd try "Bubba's Barbecue". I haven't actually reviewed Bubba's yet, but the other three places that i've been in Charlotte just weren't all that good (Bar-B-Q King; Smokys Burnt End BBQ; and Yorkmont Cafe).

Good luck and let me know if you try others around there.

Return to Best BBQ Joint