Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Kansas City BBQ joints

Kansas City BBQ joints

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:08 pm
MNPorkmaster medium
medium

I plan on taking a trip to Kansas City this fall/winter just to try some of the local BBQ joints. What are some places that I should hit?
Char Griller Outlaw SFB
Brinkmann Smoke`N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe
Twin Chamber charcoal grill
Brinkmann charcoal grill

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:07 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I just went to Fiorella's Jack Stack restaurant Friday. This place is not my idea of a "BBQ joint" but the food was good. It's more like an upscale restaurant that serves BBQ. It is also a little more expensive than other BBQ joints. My sister-in-law really likes their beans. Although the food was good, I probably won't eat there again because BBQ isn't about the food "only", I like to experience it as well.

I enjoyed the experience at LC's and the food was good. I even got to me L.C. Their meat was a little different as they deli slice almost everything. Also, ask for the sauce on the side, they REALLY sauce it up otherwise. At times the smoker fills the place with smoke as they open it up to take something out.

Arthur Bryant's has a lot of history. I didn't care much for their sauces but I did like the food. However, we noticed varying quality in the ribs from plate to plate. Burnt ends are their specialty. Many famous folks visit A.B.'s when visiting town.

Famous Dave's is well liked by a lot of family & friends in K.C. We ordered their family sampler platter which is delivered to the table on a trash can lid. Every thing was delicious and the chicken has a light lemon flavor.

Gates has been around for as long as I can remember. When I eat there it brings back memories of long ago. They holler greetings at you as you enter and exit the place. My best friend had his wedding rehearsal dinner there. So I enjoy the place for the memories it holds. I brought back several bottles of their sauces from last week's trip.

Danny Edward's barely had room to turn around in and only about 4 tables or so. We ate outside in the parking lot where they had additional picnic tables. They were featured in Steven's cookbook so I had to go. As I remember it was pretty good. They are no longer at the location we ate at, someone mentioned they moved but I don't know where.

I ate at Red Hot & Blues my last trip up to K.C. in May and they were good too. It was in Southern Missouri though. The place was clean but it still had atmosphere.

There are so many places to choose from and since I no longer live there I can only hit a few of them. My choice would be a hole-in-the-wall joint that has been in the same location for a loooong time. :D

Here is a link to my reviews of a few K.C. joints:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... hp?p=90755

Hope you enjoy your trip and the BBQ! :D

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:47 pm
nicneufeld well done
well done

Bob has a lot more experience with the KC BBQ scene which is humbling in that I live within 5 minutes from LC's and one Gates location! I still haven't visited LC's, myself, and I'm not sure why! Arthur Bryants, as well, another place I haven't visited but ought to have.

Jack Stack is (as Bob mentions) a far cry from a BBQ "joint", but they do have great meat and beans there. I like Gates sauce myself.
22" Weber Kettle One-Touch Gold w/ Smokenator
2009 18.5" WSM
Pro Q Cold Smoke Generator

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:52 pm

Is there still a place called Boyd's in KC? I went there too many years ago. It was amazing.

Not the best neighborhood, back then. But who cares. I am almost afraid the neighborhood got better and it was squeezed out.

Any info would be appreciated.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:02 pm
nicneufeld well done
well done

Bob-BQN wrote:
I enjoyed the experience at LC's and the food was good. I even got to me L.C. Their meat was a little different as they deli slice almost everything. Also, ask for the sauce on the side, they REALLY sauce it up otherwise. At times the smoker fills the place with smoke as they open it up to take something out.

Just recently had LCs, finally went there for lunch one day. You are right about the brisket...very, very thinly sliced. But the sandwich was either mindblowingly fantastic or I was VERY hungry that day! :D

I didn't have the same issue with the sauce...my sandwich would have been dry with a lesser brisket, but it was great, and the small amount of sauce was just right for me.

I've never heard of boyd's, but coming from me that doesn't mean much!
22" Weber Kettle One-Touch Gold w/ Smokenator
2009 18.5" WSM
Pro Q Cold Smoke Generator

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:01 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Glad you liked it. :D L.C.'s is a place I'd like to return to someday.

Return to Best BBQ Joint