Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint "RUDY'S" The BEST BBQ joint

"RUDY'S" The BEST BBQ joint

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:10 pm

The BEST place to eat BBQ has to be Rudy's Country Store and Bar-B-Q
P.O. Box 691365 San Antonio, Texas 78269 PH. (210) 698-8543
Email: Rudy@intersatx.net Web addy: WWW.Rudys.com A MUST to visit!
They serve the BEST! baby back ribs, chicken, smoked turkey, sausage and brisqet. Rudy has his own famous "Rudy's Bar-B-Q SAUSE" that he started making just to go along with the meals that he serves on butcher wrap paper and people loved his "SAUSE" so much that he had to start bottling it and selling it. We stock up on it everytime we are in S.A. There is a caution though printed on the bottle warning that the "SAUSE" is to be used only before and after sex....not "rekamended" for "during"......LOL yes, spelling its correct for this "SAUSE" anyway. It is the best because it is done RIGHT! the perfectly cooked and seasoned tender meat and fresh bread sopping in this "sause" is finger licking good with sides of the world's BEST cream corn! You can't find it anywhere else in the world. Pot. salad, slaw or beans. Washed down with an ice cold beer and the country atmophere that keeps you in there eating more! Don't forget warm peach cobbler or a brownie for desert!

Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:11 am

I would have to agree. A good all-around BBQ joint in Texas is Rudy's. They are very consistant with their BBQ. I've never had a bad meal at Rudy's. They have awesome brisket and turkey. Their babyback ribs are good, but they can't hold a candle to Art's Ribs in Austin, TX.

Art's Ribs is the benchmark I use against all other rib joints. These babyback ribs are so tender and tasty that you don't need BBQ sauce, but they are to die for once you sauce em up. The LIVE music at Art's is the cherry on top of a great dining evening.

There are so many good BBQ places in Texas to enjoy. It is very difficult to single out a small handful let alone a single restaurant.

Dang, when's lunch. I'm hungry!!

Post Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:36 pm
PostOakSmoke

Rudys is one of the worst BBQ places in Texas and a crappy chain to boot. Anyone that knows anything about Texas BBQ would mention the meats served in :shock: Lockhart (Blacks, Smitty's), Luling (City Market) and Taylor (Louie Muellers) for the best beef anywhere.

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:54 pm
Steve in Austin

If I read any more uneducated opinions ststing that Rudy's is one of the best bbq places in Texas, Im going to puke. Rudy's is mediocre at best and and I can name five places in AUSTIN alone that serve better BBQ; John Mueller's, House Park, Ruby's, Sam's, County Line. Not to mention another twenty or so in Taylor, Elgin, Lockhart, Luling, Gonzales, and Llano that all are much better than Rudy's. Anyone that calls Rudys bbq great simply hasn't the experience or knowledge of the truly great cue joints in the state.

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:19 pm
San Antone Joe

We made the mistake of eating at Rudy's in west Austin after stopping for gas last Saturday. None of the barbeuce is any good at all, except maybe the prime rib, which costs over fifteen dollars a pound. The chopped beef sandwich could have been the WORST ever, 7-11 has better chopped beef. The brisket was paper thin and dry, the sausage was grocery store quality and the ribs were overcooked, very fatty, grisly and greasy. And $10.00 per pound for brisket? Bottom line; Pay attention to their slogan, (Worst BBQ in Texas) as it is at least truth in advertising.

Post Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:58 pm

You know, I have to disagree. I really loved the Rudy's BBQ up on I-10 heading out of San Antonio. This was several years ago but I stood in line behind about 100 other people at lunch time just to get a bite of it. I love the way it is served (no plates or utensils and they throw in a loaf of bread.) I bought a jar of their rub to take the flavor home and it has gotten raves from friends when I grill for them. We at outside and had a great time eating there. I got the brisket which was sliced thick and had extra sauce poured over it. I also had some of the sausage and it was nothing as another poster described. Maybe at the Rudy's in Austin..but not here in the one I went to in San Antonio.

Sure it is not a sophisticated BBQ but it is rustic and people who are into that sort of thing will agree that Rudy's BBQ has a good flavor and added sauce which is tangy and flavroful Maybe it is not your cup of tea but I sure liked it and so do many of my friends. It's also a last of a dying breed in that they do not use gas to fire up the grills. It is old fashioned.

So puke away, Steve in Austin, but at least consider there are other opinionsd besides yours and use your manners when replying to another poster. Chasing them away with rudeness is not very nice.

And, by the way, my opinion on County Line BBQ is that it is not that good. But I am not nasty to other posters about it. Sheesh.

Post Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:37 pm
Edgar Black

The reason Rudy's pour sauce all over their meat is that it simply is not very good, by Central Texas standards. Since San Antonio really doesn't have any great BBQ places, Rudy's might be the best there, I don't know. But I do know the folks that have travelled the Texas BBQ Trail, generally along the Old Chisholm Trail from around Gonzales up thru Luling, Lockhart, Elgin and Taylor have six or seven great BBQ eight joints along the way that are far superior to any BBQ places in any of the big cities. And trust me, I know way more about Texas BBQ than you will ever forget.

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:22 am
Ironwulf well done
well done

As a full-blooded East Texan, I have to agree that Rudy's is an awful place. I had the misfortune of eating at one of their restaurants here in Tyler several years ago, and my memory is that a lot of our food, if not the vast majority of it, was either gristle, fat, or really bad meat. And don't even get me started on how greasy everything was. It deeply saddens me that there are some people out there who would eat at Rudy's and think they represent true Texas barbecue.

Post Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:42 pm
JOHNBQ

Just look at Rudy's, it's a big "glamorous" chain establishment. It's the Bennigans of bbq of course it blows. It's not as bad as Bill Miller's whose initials are BM, what does that tell you? Support local homegrown bbq, go to Bob's Smokehouse on Rigsby and Roland your tates buds and wallet will both thankyou for it.

Post Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:06 pm
PostOakSmoke

Is about 45 minutes NE of San Antonio in Luling, City Market has awesome brisket, sausage and ribs. Well worth the short drive.

Return to Best BBQ Joint