Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Wilburs BBQ Goldsboro, NC

Wilburs BBQ Goldsboro, NC

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:33 pm
Swcrowder raw
raw

Over the Christmas holiday, we were traveling through eastern N.C. and found ourselves in Goldsboro, home of the famous Wilburs BBQ out on Hwy 70. It had been years since I had visited Wilburs, so you can imagine how ready I was to taste that down home food. The atmosphere was the same as I rember it some 15 years ago. The event started out with some of the best sweet tea in the south (and believe me, I have had my share over the years). Hush puppies were next, I do believe Wilburs has the best hushpuppies I have ever tasted. They are "lighter" tasting than most hush puppies I have experienced. The BBQ arrived (pork of course, and vinegar based, traditional eastern NC style). It was delicious and full of flavor. The sides (slaw and brunswick stew) were also really good. I also had an opportunity to meet Wilber himself (Wilbur Shirley) who has been cooking BBQ right there since 1963. He is a fantastic guy, and always makes time for the customer. We were enjoying the meal so much, we forgot to save room for desert, so I can't comment on that. As we were leaving, a HUGE truck pulled up and delivered a MASSIVE load of wood to the smokehouse located directly behind the restaurant. Several years ago I asked Wilbur how many pigs he served up in a typical day. His response was "about 30" which astonished me. That's a lot of Q! For those interested, Wilbur's is located on Hwy 70 east, about 4 miles east of Goldsboro on the right hand side. Enjoy!!

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:02 pm

Good post and accurate! Wilbur's is a really good Q-joint and worth the stop anytime anyone is in the area!

Not the best NC Q that I've ever had, but certainly a good one!

Welcome to the board Swcrowder!

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:09 am
Brentk rare
rare

Just make sure that you get there on a day when the BBQ is fresh.

The last time I went it was mediocre and I thought the place was going downhill. Afterwards, I noticed a thread on another food board where others had the same issue. There was some speculation that perhaps they are only cooking the Q a couple of times a week.

Log burners can be inconsistent. I'm just glad they still make it the old fashioned way.

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:52 pm
halter91 medium
medium

Been there a few times driving from 95 to Jacksonville, I love it there. I need to get back there soon thats for sure.

Post Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:37 am
wscato medium-rare
medium-rare

I have to agree with one of the other posters. 10 years ago Wilburs was the best hands down. Now it is hit or miss, usually a miss.

Return to Best BBQ Joint