Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Cafe Istanbul, Newport, KY(Cincinnati)

Cafe Istanbul, Newport, KY(Cincinnati)

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:49 pm
BingeAndPurge medium
medium

OK, so this isn't exactly "barbecue," but huge sections of BB and HTG are devoted to kebabs and the like, something we've been making more and more of lately, so I thought I'd share this experience.

http://www.cafeistanbul.com/?page=home

The wife and I got rid of the kids last night and headed out to Newport on the Levee in Kentucky. After getting no service at the bar we went to, we walked out and looked around for what we wanted to eat. We were walking to Johnny Rockers when I saw Cafe Istanbul across the courtyard and said one word to the wife, "kebabs."

The wife had the Adana kebabs, and I had the Doner ones. Our food came with rice, a veggie medley that was fresh, and fresh flatbread that was a cross between pita and naan. The yogurt sauce was great as well.

The meat was great, but our dinners were pricey at 15 per for street food, but I chalk that up to America. We love paying too much for peasant food. Besides, I don't mind paying a little extra for fresh food, and this place claims to do all their own butchering and yogurt making. Overall the food was very good and a nice change. I'd go back again for a nice late dinner with my wife and/or friends, which is a strong possibilty because of the location.

edit: Also, I didn't see any baba ganush on the menu, although the one on the wbsite does, and I was a little disapointed. The website menu is different than the one they gave us last night, so they've either taken it off or I just didn't see it.
Back in the land of poisonous nuts

Return to Best BBQ Joint