Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Southeast Alabama

Southeast Alabama

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:56 am

:lol: I love BBQ as do most of you, but we all have our favorites. The BBQ House in Auburn, AL. tops my list. Might be because I ate there sometimes three meals a day while in school at Auburn, but in all my travels I have not experienced a better combination of flavor, smoke, sauce and atmosphere. And without a doubt the best sidekick since Tonto or Robin is a bowl of Brunswick Stew to go with your Q. Close behind is Byrons Smokehouse, and Chucks, good choices if the BBQ House was not around. For those of you that see I am from AL. and want to know about Dreamland...too much hype. Ribs that are too tough, too chewy, cooked too fast over the fire...but the sauce is outstanding. Any Q afficianados out there in this area share your favorites, I want to try them all.
War Eagle!!

Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:25 pm
bamabbq

The best overall is Dreamland. Big John only gives the tough chewing ribs to Auburn folks. No rean BBQ place sells "Stew". Come see us in Tuscaloosa and I'll help you get the Best. Roll Tide

Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:45 pm
Big Pappa

I agree that Dreamland is great. It is not nationally know for nothing! :lol:

Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:46 am
scott

i disagree with big poppa. dreamland IS nationally known for nothing.

Post Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:38 pm
SL

Dreamland is really good. I went to Mississippi State and we would go there occasionally. The ribs aren't slow cooked so they do tend to be tough at times, but if you had a bad batch I would recommend you try it again. Dreamland makes some of the best ribs I have tried.

Post Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:54 pm
CubFanPete medium
medium

I like Dreamland Ribs but I am not real crazy about there sauce. A little to vinegary for my taste.

Post Sat May 22, 2004 3:02 pm
homebuyer

Guys, I don't know if ya'll have tried this place an are forgetting about it, or if you've just never heard of it...But The Shack BBQ in Talladega County beats anything around the Birmingham area. They have the most tender pork I have personally ever eaten.

Now Jim Deerman's BBQ out Hwy 78 in Forestdale comes close to this, but it's just not quiet there.

To get to The Shack BBQ, cross Stemley Bridge (crosses Logan Martin Lake from Pell City into Talladega) and go about one mile...The Shack is on the left...

It is highly impressive.

Jay in B'ham.

Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:17 am
telvirginia

I've been to most of the places in Southeast Alabama, and I think the best bar-b-que is the Brick Pit in Mobile...slow cooking unlike Dreamland which uses mostly direct heat.

Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:57 pm
burnsie raw
raw

Gotta agree with those who question the hype at Dreamland.
My son went to U.A. Tuscaloosa and I've been there a few times. I liked the ribs well enough but it wasn't like getting hit with a shotgun blast...good but not what I came to expect before going there. The ribs we had were certainly tender...although I've had more tender ribs with more smokey flavor...and the sauce was really good too...but I think I make a better vinegar sauce.
Oh well...unless you're smokin' your own this place is a pretty good substitute if you happen to be nearby.
SMOKE ON!!!
burnsie

Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:22 am

The Barbeque House is my favorite as well. I graduated from Auburn and would eat there all the time.
I now live in SC and I do not have any choices as far as how my barbeque is cut. The Barbeque House gives you options.
I usually order a sliced sandwich (hot all the way), and a chipped sandwich (hot all the way.)
At the Barbeque house they slice the meat right in front of you and stack it on a bun giving you a sandwich that has fresh slices and chunks of meat. Put some hot sauce on and then some BBQ slaw on. Top it with a slice of pickle, and then put the the other bun on to complete the sandwich and wait 20 seconds while they place it on a double surface type grill that heats the buns up and your ready to eat.
MM..MM..Good.

Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:03 pm
Digs

I'd have to say that living in Atlanta, there are not many excellent places to choose from as far as great BBQ goes. However, there is one place called Ribs, Etc. It has been around about 20 years and it has got to have the best ribs and pork in Atlanta. It has stood thew test of time and and several attempts to be unseated by the Franchise BBQers.

Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:18 pm
Forrest rare
rare

Has anyone tried Phil's BBQ in Eufaula, Alabama? I haven't had a chance to stop in there yet, but next I'm in Eufaula, I'll give 'em a try, unless . . . :shock:
Forrest

Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:51 am
SeaRay Cpt

Like most things in Tuskaloosa, Dreamland is overrated. Their fast grilling makes for a tough rib, and the sauce is mediocre at best.

War Eagle

Post Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:36 pm

Yes indeed!! "You're so right Carl!"

THE BARBECUE HOUSE in Auburn is Great. I love the chipped pork plate. The slaw is the best I've ever had (I don't like mayo based) - this is a 5 star side and it goes well on the sandwich too!!
In Montgomery, the HEART of DIXIE, nothing comes close to SAM'S on Atlanta Hwy. The pulled pork is exceptional, the sauce is fantastic; finally, his baked beans are the best I've had at any bbq place (another 5 star side).
In Mobile, The BRICK PIT has great pulled pork and ribs and the sauce is very tasty too (the ribs here - smoked low and slow - are much better than Dreamland); however the sides can't match those mentioned above.

War Eagle!

Williettiger.

Post Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:55 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board williettiger! :D

Return to Best BBQ Joint