Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Dixies BBQ/Porter's Place, Bellevue WA

Dixies BBQ/Porter's Place, Bellevue WA

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:57 am
McSherry rare
rare

Just outside Seattle, under the 520 freeway, in an old auto repair shop, sits Dixies Barbecue. Wonderful stuff.

They have a catering business called Porter's Place, which is nearly identical. Although I should caution anyone from out of town...they have a Porter's place in SAFECO field. If you're at a Mariners game (wnd why would you be these days?) and recognize the name, it's not the same for whatever reason.

But Dixies is wonderful.

Any Seattleites disagree?
"The bigger the headache, the bigger the pill."
-George Clinton

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:01 pm
McSherry rare
rare

Let me amplify my comments about the Porter's place in Safeco Field. My buddy had a pulled pork sandwich at the game on Friday night. I tried it. You can get better bbq from the pre-made stovetop barbecue pots at the grocery store.

Don't do it!
-George Clinton

Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:28 pm

Whats your thoughts on Longhorn BBQ in Seattle area. I believe there are a couple locations
There are two different types of RIBs. Both are good.
One kind you eat, the other you steer through the waves.

I also recommend Dixies. The owners are incredibly rude but they can afford to be so. Just avoid meeing "The Man".

If the drive to Bellevue is too far, consider visiting the Armadillo BBQ in Woodinville, WA. Personally, I don't care for their BBQ sauce. It's a little runny and doesn't have the flavor I seek. But I'm in a distinct minority. Most folks swear by the Armadillo. If you're lucky, they write messages on their windows that drive the local folks crazy. Examples include, "Fresh Roadkill Special" and "We serve children". Very skanky atmosphere but the food's great.

The Texas Smokehouse is also in Woodinville, WA but a few years ago it went through an ownership change and I really didn't enjoy the food there anymore. They used to have all you can eat nights. And their beef ribs were huge. Still worth an investigation.

In Duvall, WA, consider Jaspers. They're quite new but the food there's just terrific. The pulled pork is heavenly.

Cliff

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:04 am
McSherry rare
rare

Have been to Longhorn twice in recent weeks, as I just started a new job down near the Pioneer Square location. It's all right - nothing terrific.

There's a better place around the corner called hole in the wall barbecue, right across the street from the pioneer square transit tunnel entrance, near the Smith Tower. But it only has sandwiches.

The folks at Longhorn are really terrific and I am always lured by the great smell coming out of the restaurant. But I personally think I make better ribs and better shoulder than they do...and I've only been at it for a year or so. But like I say I work by it, so i go there and it tastes fine in a pinch...

Pecos Pit on first across the street from Starbucks Headquarters beats them both though. It's the best in town so far in my opinion.

I live near woodinville, so I'll check out Armadillo. Thanks for the tip, CliffV2000.
-George Clinton

Post Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:13 pm
d_smokin_b rare
rare

We moved from Seattle about 5 yrs ago, after living in Magnolia for 7 years and working downtown. I used to catch the bus and eat at Pecos Pit. That place is great!

I love the option for 'spiking it'

There was always a line there out to the street.

Are they still open only a few hours a day for lunch?

I miss Pecos Pit, Shultzy's, Chinook's, and some chili parlor I can't remember the name of on some side street in downtown!

d.b
d.b

Post Sun May 08, 2005 2:10 pm
scooterrk raw
raw

Dixies is good. I don't think their rude though, that's part of the schtick. I've heard the same about Porters @ Safeco field but i've never eaten there. I wonder if the same people from Dixies actually work in there or if it's just hired help, perhaps that could explain the quality difference.

Pecos - i miss Pecos. My office used to be the building that surrounds Pecos. As someone said earlier, there is always a line down the to the street. I was lucky, when i was hungry for some Pecos, i could just look out the window to see when the line went down. I believe the original owners are gone, WONDERFUL PEOPLE BY THE WAY, but they had some people working in there a long time teaching them the ropes. I think they care abou the legacy. I think Pecos is still my favorite in Seattle so far.

Jaspers - pretty good too! We moved out towards Duvall a couple years ago and found Jaspers while exploring. Good stuff and good people.

There's also a place in Crossroads Mall that's decent but the name is escaping me right now.

Post Mon May 09, 2005 10:36 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board scooterrk! :D

Post Tue May 10, 2005 9:32 am
scooterrk raw
raw

well thank you! Glad i found it.

Return to Best BBQ Joint