Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint detroit to savannah to kiawah back to detroit

detroit to savannah to kiawah back to detroit

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
jaydough raw
raw

while my girlfriend is extremely excited for the beach this spring, i cannot wait to eat as much bbq as possible. i need some help though, finding the best places. it looks like we'll be driving north and south on i-77 for much of the trip, are there any great bbq places on this strip (or a little out of the way?)

i really appreciate the help,

jason

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:24 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board jaydough! :D

Hopefully someone knows the area you're traveling through, but in the meantime try searching for names of those cities and others you'll be passing near on our forum to see if anything has already been discussed. 8)

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:08 am

Hey jaydough!

As you pass through North Carolina on I-77, unfortunately, you will miss most of the "really good" Q-joints, but there are still a couple that I'll recommend.

In Statesville, try to find "Little Pigs Barbecue" in the Brookdale Shopping Center. They are just a bit better than "Greg's BarBQ" on Salisbury Road. These two places serve up decent Q.

I've heard that "Lancaster's Barbecue" in Mooresville (about half-way between Statesville and Charlotte) is pretty good, but I haven't sampled their Q yet.

On down in Charlotte, I would recommend "Bubba's Barbecue". There are a couple locations, but they are the same. Pretty good representation of Lexington style North Carolina Q.

There are about 5-6 "Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q" places around Charlotte, but they are NOT North Carolina style Q!

If you have the chance to get off of I-77, there are some really good places along I-85 (China Grove, Lexington, Greensboro, Durham, Creedmore, Henderson); or if you get east over toward Greenville, Ayden, Kinston, Wilson.

All in all, there are some really good Q-joints in North Carolina, but you will miss most of them along I-77.

Good luck and I sincerely hope you have a safe trip. Let us know where you stopped along the way, in NC and elsewhere.

Return to Best BBQ Joint