Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Just returned from famous BBQ stops in North Carolina

Just returned from famous BBQ stops in North Carolina

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
stlouBBQ well done
well done

I recently had to be in Durham, North Carolina on business. I had never been to North Carolina before. Not to mention, in BBQ USA, Steven noted many famous BBQ joints in NC. So, I gave myself some extra time and sampled 3 spots and took my copy of BBQ USA with me for the trip.

First, I stopped at Scott's in Goldsboro. I order their sauce all the time so I was interested in stopping by their store. It is now run by Adam Scott's grandkids, Martell, Jr. and Sybill Scott Seward. I had the barbecue tray. It is traditional eastern-NC whole hog barbecue served with hushpuppies and slaw. Their hospitatlity was great! I had exchanged e-mails with Sybil before I went, so they were expecting me. They gave me very interesting accounts of their history, etc., and even showed me around their kitchen very briefly. They switched to gas a number of years ago, so the barbecue did not have much of a smokey flavor. The slaw and hushpuppies were great. They had the best sauce of all my stops. Both Martell and Sybill are starting to get a little up there in age. Sadly, they said that in all likellihood the restaurant part of the business will likely end when they retire. For now, they are only open on Thursday and Friday for lunch. Martell's son is not interested in the restaurant side, but they are likely to keep the mail-order sauce business open. At least we will still have that!

Next, I stopped by Wilber's in Goldsboro. I had the same barbecue tray. I met Wilber and he graciously gave me about 30 minutes of his time. However, I did not get to see his famous smokehouse. He didn't offer, so I didn't ask. Anyway, the barbecue was very good. The slaw and hushpuppies were good. The only sauce available at the table was vinegar, which was a good compliment to the barbecue but nothing special.

Finally, I stopped at Allen and Son in Chapel Hill. This was, by far, the best flavored barbecue of the three. Smokey, spicey and yummy. It also came with hushpuppies and cole slaw that were better than Wilber's, but not as good as Scott's. He also had a spicey vinegar-based sauce at the table that was very good, nearly as good as Scott's (but not quite).

Martell and Sybill Scott, and Wilber signed my BBQ USA book. Unfortunately, Mr. Allen had to attend a funeral the day I visited and was unable to be there. I wish I could have told him personally how good his food and staff were.

All of it was good and an excellent experience. The next time I get to NC, I will spend time doing western-NC style barbecue, around Lexington, where they use ketchup in their sauce and slaw. The vinegar based stuff is more appealing to me, that is why I started with eastern-style.

Anyway, I know this was long, but if anyone gets the chance to sample some eastern-NC BBQ, I hope this was helpful.
"How many grills do you NEED?!"

Some people just don't understand

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:04 pm
ajhunter well done
well done

Sounds like a great trip. I will be in memphis this weekend and I plan to do what you did, sample as much "well-known" Q as I can. You can believe I will be taking pics and posting results!

Tony
2 WSMs, CG
KCBS CBJ

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:06 pm
stlouBBQ well done
well done

I was going to visit Ed Mitchell's place, too. However, he evidently has some significant legal distractions at this time. I hope he comes back.

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:29 pm
grilltender john well done
well done

Tony
Be sure to stop by Rendevous and Corky's. I tried both while I was there for the Memphis in May and both were pretty good. Rendevous is huge and right next to the river. Great view as you're chowing down. Be sure to get to Beale Street and check out the music! And as my wife would say, lets go see Graceland...interesting but boring.
how you done did dat?

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:40 pm
ajhunter well done
well done

grilltender john wrote:
Tony
Be sure to stop by Rendevous and Corky's. I tried both while I was there for the Memphis in May and both were pretty good. Rendevous is huge and right next to the river. Great view as you're chowing down. Be sure to get to Beale Street and check out the music! And as my wife would say, lets go see Graceland...interesting but boring.

Great tips, thanks! The wife and I will be staying on Beale Street! 8) I will make sure to visit those joints while I am there.

Tony
2 WSMs, CG
KCBS CBJ

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:38 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

<Finally, I stopped at Allen and Son in Chapel Hill. This was, by far, the best flavored barbecue of the three. Smokey, spicey and yummy. It also came with hushpuppies and cole slaw that were better than Wilber's, but not as good as Scott's. He also had a spicey vinegar-based sauce at the table that was very good, nearly as good as Scott's (but not quite).>

Which one was it? The one north of Chapel Hill or south of Chapel Hill? I think the one south is better. Just my opinion....

Sorry I wasn't here to meet ya. I didn't get home from vending until abt 8:45pm.... it was a LONG day. I was setting up before day break.

Be sure and let me know the next time you are this way and we will see if it will work better.

Bill

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:35 am
smoke eater medium
medium

Sounds like you had a great time. Sounds like the sort of thing I'd like to do one day. Thanks for the report. :D
Proud CG owner!

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:12 am
stlouBBQ well done
well done

Which one was it? The one north of Chapel Hill or south of Chapel Hill? I think the one south is better. Just my opinion....

Sorry I wasn't here to meet ya. I didn't get home from vending until abt 8:45pm.... it was a LONG day. I was setting up before day break.

Be sure and let me know the next time you are this way and we will see if it will work better.

I went to the one on Millhouse Road. I'm not sure if that is north or south of Chapel Hill, but it was very good.

Sounds like you had a long day that day. Hope the vending gig was fruitful. Anyway, if I ever get back that way, I will be sure to let you know. Take care.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:59 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

stlouBBQ wrote:

I went to the one on Millhouse Road. I'm not sure if that is north or south of Chapel Hill, but it was very good.

Sounds like you had a long day that day. Hope the vending gig was fruitful. Anyway, if I ever get back that way, I will be sure to let you know. Take care.

If memory serves me right, that would be the one on the north side.

Yes, a very busy day, but worth the trip. We spent the night with our son and family Friday night. I make enough to pay expenses, and pay my way to VA to the comp..... :P :P :P

Bill

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:30 am
HurricaneKurt medium-rare
medium-rare

stlouBBQ wrote:
I was going to visit Ed Mitchell's place, too. However, he evidently has some significant legal distractions at this time. I hope he comes back.

There have been rumors floating around Wilson for about 2 years now that he is going to open another restaurant in a shopping center across town. I hope so, Ed is a great guy. He had the best commercial 'que at his place I've ever had.

Glad to hear ya had a good trip down east. And I agree with ya, Allen n Son is some good grub.

Kurt

Return to Best BBQ Joint