Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Any Que in Ohio?

Any Que in Ohio?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:30 am

been stuck here for 6 years and I still have to go "visit" family in KC to get good bbq. any suggestions?

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:37 pm
outagas well done
well done

An online friend opened Redneck BBQ near Dayton.

I posted details here.

And welcome to the board.

Jim
"El método del Su Excelencia, el Rey Minion"

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:06 pm
blackduckbuck medium-rare
medium-rare

Not much in central Ohio either, might as well buy yourself a CG and make your own!!

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:47 am
HurricaneKurt medium-rare
medium-rare

stuckinohio wrote:
been stuck here for 6 years and I still have to go "visit" family in KC to get good bbq. any suggestions?

What part of Ohio are you in???

Post Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:34 pm

well I live in Columbus during the week, then on the weekends we go to Indian Lake. Heard of a place in Ottawa called Red Pig Inn just haven't had a chance to try it

Post Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:54 pm
HurricaneKurt medium-rare
medium-rare

I'm not too familiar with Columbus. The only place I know of there is City BBQ and I bet you've tried it. I have never ate at that location but I did try the one in Dayton, it was decent but nothing special. I was a bit disappointed after hearing how good the Cincinnati location is supposed to be. Maybe I just hit them on an off day.

Kurt

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:59 am

I've tried two places in Kettering (sub-burb of Dayton) named: "KD's Kettering BBQ" and "The BBQ Hut"; neither place was exceptionally good, but not terrible either. Meat was drenched in thick red sauce at both places.

Also, tried a little trailer stand in Clyde named: Winesburg. This was a bit better as the chopped pork was not sauced, and was pretty moist and tender, with a slight hickory smoke flavor.

If you truly want GOOD Q, come on down to North Carolina where we do it two different ways - Eastern style (predominately in the east part of the state) or Lexington style! Good stuff!!!

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:09 pm

I have been wanting to get to North Carolina for a few years everyone has told me it’s the only place to get pork.
CityBBQ I’ve tried in Columbus, to be honest I did not find it to be very good, meat was dry and the sauce was watered down ketchup.
I’ll have to try KD’s next time I get to the Dayton area, wish the weather would warm up a little then I can just make my own. :)

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:54 am
PeteJessCam medium-rare
medium-rare

I believe in Columbus, there's part of a chain called Hoggy's, that's small enough to still be pretty decent.

http://hoggys.com - I like their pork. The brisket is merely average, and the chicken tastes kind of like pine which makes me not want to eat it again. The sides are outstanding, however, and the Texas Red Chili is pretty good for a chain. Give it a shot.

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:59 pm

yep go to hoggys every once in a while, its ok. They had an older location in Dublin that seemed a little better then the new one at Polaris, but they closed it. It really seems these places like Hoggy's just try to get to fancy and want to run a table service place. It's never the same :( as good ole Gates

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:19 am
Rybone rare
rare

Millstone BBQ is outside Logan on Route 33, 35 or 40 miles southeast of Columbus. I am guessing it is 6 months old or so. I finally ate there a few weeks ago and I was really impressed. I am not a BBQ expert but I really liked the ribs and the brisket. I can't wait to eat there again.

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:40 pm

I just returned from another visit to southwest Ohio. This time I found "Werner's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que", located where I-71 crosses Route 35 near Jefferson. This is where the "Prime Outlets" is located, but across the street from the entrance to the shopping center is the street for Werner's.

The "pulled pork" sandwich was pretty tasty (very smoky) and the meat was fairly moist and tender. The slaw was really good, as was their "sweet tea". I couldn't believe that someone actually had sweet tea in Ohio!

The sandwich was quite sizeable, and only $3.95.

Try this place out if you get the chance.

(Take the wife shopping and maybe she will let you get some Q!)

Its called Woody's, on route 33 northwest of Columbus right off of the Plain City exit. I tried the Brisket and it was by far better then City BBQ. The sauce was a little bland but I have gotten use to that in Ohio. They're not up to the Gates, Arthur Bryant, Oklahoma Joe level but something pretty good to hold me over until I visit KC again June 3 :D

Post Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:59 pm
BingeAndPurge medium
medium

I used to get City BBQ in Columbus years ago. I finally hit the one in Cinci yesterday since moving here six months ago. I have to say, since making my own I was not impressed at all. Three of us from work each had the pulled pork sandwiches with all three sauces on the side (red, vinegar, mustard). One guy kept bragging about how good it was. I took one bite and told him it was garbage. The meat had no smoke flavor at all. The red and mustard sauces were Kraft or something comparable, and the vinegar had no flavor. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed.
Back in the land of poisonous nuts

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:34 pm
Angio333 rare
rare

If you are in northeastern Ohio checkout:

Bubba's Q
820 Center Road (State Route 83)
Avon, Ohio
440-937-7859
http://www.bubbasq.com

It is owned by the former Cleveland Brown, Al Bubba Baker. Amazing pulled chicken, great sauce, and sweet potato fries!

They are also patenting a "knife" the debones that ribs AFTER cooking!
- C

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint