Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint a good San Antonio spot for BBQ ??

a good San Antonio spot for BBQ ??

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:42 am
Fasizzle medium-rare
medium-rare

I just journeyed outside the General Discussion and found this thread. I hope my input isn't too late.

For BBQ, there are tons of places. Make sure you try Rudy's in Leon Springs. It's pretty famous and pretty good. Also, if you get that way, go to Kreuz Market, in Lockhart, it's another famous BBQ place, been around since 1900.

For Mexican food, not Tex-Mex, try La Fogata. The margaritas are outstanding, but don't have more than two. Their skirt steak is good, so is their beef kebob. If you like pollo loco or enchiladas, try El Mirasol. And have a Michelada while you're there. Los Barrios is another good one - more of a "lunchy" atmosphere. They have a great chimmichurri on the table. If you like mole, it's a good place to go. If you're on the Riverwalk, consider only Casa Rio. It's been there for 50+ years. Try their queso. All other mexican places on the Riverwalk are bad. There are so many Mexican restaurants in SA that you have to wade through alot of bad, tomato-saucy meals before you stumble on a good one. Trust me, these four are good. My preference order is: LaFogata, El Mirasol, Los Barrios, Casa Rio.

For burgers, two places: Chester's and Longhorn Cafe. Fries yes, onion rings no at Chester's. Fries and onion rings are both good at Longhorn.

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:42 am
GRABLE raw
raw

Hi there,,,I live in Kerrville Tx, about 60 miles NW of San Antonio. Rudy's is good, right off i-10 NW, other good ones in Helotes, Hondo and Busbys in Bandera. If I were going to spend time in San Antonio, which is the 8th largest city in the US, I would go to Luling, The City Market, and a few miles north of there in Lockhart there are 4 good ones. NONE of these are chain BBQ joints. My choice is The City Market. Hope this helps

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:05 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board GRABLE! :D

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:43 pm
Darter medium
medium

Forgot to post back about our trip!

We generally had good luck and recommendations for San Antonio eats. We didn't bother with BBQ in SA, but took a day trip to Lockhart via Luling for Kruetz's and Black's. Forgot about City Market when we were driving through Luling though. :oops: Couldn't figure out why the name of the town sounded familiar as we were driving through.

Here's what we ended up doing...

Day 1. Mission San Antonio de Valero - The Alamo, ate at Boudro's (excellent recommendation!)
Day 2. Poteet Strawberry Festival with rodeo and $10 helicopter rides Riverwalk boat tour
Day 3. Mission trail: San Juan, San Jose, and Espada
Day 4. Bandera w/ crazy/eclectic history musuem, Kerrville for scenic drive and lunch, Fredericksburg shopping, dinner at Azuca's (another excellent recommendation!)
Day 5. Enchanted Springs Ranch and dinner with friends
Day 6. BBQ tasting in Lockhart (WOW!!!), dinner at Paloma Blanca (yet another excellent recommendation!)
Day 7. Sea World, dinner at Las Ramblas and an evening at the hotel spa

Thanks for all the fine suggestions...we'll have to go back for the ranching and more BBQ!

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:25 pm

Just got home from San Antonio and wanted to add a comment to this thread.

Ate lunch at "The County Line Steakhouse & Grille" on the Riverwalk and thoroughly enjoyed the "Bar-B-Q Sampler" as my meal. This is the same as the "mixed platter", just without the two side items (and it costs three dollars less).

Consisted of smoked turkey, sausage, beef brisket, pork ribs and a big beef rib. Everything was pretty good, with the turkey and pork ribs being best!

Another restaurant on the Riverwalk, the "Texas Land and Cattle Company" was also wonderful, as I had the filet for dinner one night. This had to be one of the most tender filets that I've ever sunk my teeth into! And the taste was delicious!!! The price was very reasonable too, less than $25 for my dinenr!!!

Great place to visit and enjoy many meals!!!

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:21 pm
BIG J raw
raw

Haven't been to SA in 10 years, but Rudy's was always good. Is Bill Miller's still around? More of a fast food feel, but was pretty good.

Previous

Return to Best BBQ Joint