Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Sweet Baby Ray's - Wood Dale, IL.

Sweet Baby Ray's - Wood Dale, IL.

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:10 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Sweet Baby Ray of Sweet Baby Ray's Sauce fame has a barbecue place in Wood Dale, IL. Picked up carry out from there last week. Liked the baby back ribs and rib tips - both were good - wife and step-daughter prefered the ribs, I prefered the tips. Did not care for the brisket - did not have to much flavor and the slices crumbled when I pulled them out of the packaging. Really good baked beans - lot's of flavor - lot's of finely chopped pork mixed in. Didn't care for the creamed corn - call it Corn Maque Choux - whole kernel corn in a thin cream sauce with green peppers and finely chopped ham - lightly seasoned. Have already made my own version & liked it better.
Will go back to try some of the other things on the menu.
2nd location, with larger seating area and full bar, going to open in November.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:09 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

I've been back to Sweet Baby Ray's several times since September - like it more and more each time I go. Took an old high school buddy there for lunch last Friday - finally tried "The Duce" - barbecued bologna, pulled pork, and slaw sandwich - comes with a money back guarantee - din't have to worry about the guarantee! Duce is Sweet Baby Ray's nephew and is one of the pitmaster's. As we were leaving my buddy said that he wanted to pick up a couple bottles of sauce to take with him on his holiday travels. Next thing I know he says "See that guy over there in the corner. That's Sweet Baby Ray. He gave me the sauce and said Merry Christmas." Looked over and saw Sweet Baby Ray sitting at his usual table - didn't see him come in - I've usually seen him when I've been there, but have never said more than "Hi, great place you have here." to him. Went over to thank him and got to spend a few minutes talking with him - what a great guy! The 2nd Sweet Baby Ray's location opened this past Saturday - it is on Devon Ave. in Elk Grove Village, Illinois - not to far from O'Hare Airport.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:01 pm
Ohbie raw
raw

The Elk Grove Village restaurant is not on Devon Ave, but rather it is on Higgins Rd., 800 E. to be exact.

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:24 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Ohbie! :D

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:01 pm
HND medium-well
medium-well

i get their sauce every once in a while...its ok

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:04 pm
TX Sandman well done
well done

Welcome aboard, Ohbie and HND!

So far I haven't tried Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. Lately I've been playing with some sauces from local folks.

Rob - TX Sandman

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:34 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Thanks Ohbie - was told in September that it was going to be on Devon.
By the way, do not know how widely it is distributed, I've only seen it at Mejiers - don't even have it at the restaraunt - Sweet Baby Ray has a new Buffalo Wing Sauce and Marinade. It is really good!
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:17 am
HND medium-well
medium-well

its a brown sauce...i don't think they have a red sauce....but their wing sauce is pretty good...i still prefer cookies though

Return to Best BBQ Joint