Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Smoque in Chicago, IL

Smoque in Chicago, IL

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:15 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

This has been featured on a show with Guy Fieri not sure if it was Diners, Drive Ins and Dives but my family and I went to see my wife's brother in the city and he lives a few blocks and always raves about it so I figured we'd give it a try. I didn't take any pics as I was in mixed company and the 2 owners kept pacing around the place I assume to try and get people to move so more tables could get open. Anyhow, I ordered the Brisket platter which came with 2 sides and I chose Baked Beans and Cornbread.

The brisket definitely left something to be desired for. It was tender, but had NO flavor and no smoke ring whatsoever. The baked beans were fantastic and had a great smokey flavor. Their cornbread was extremely dry. The owner asked my son how everything was and he at the time didn't know it was the owner and said "You need to get a Big Green Egg cause my dads brisket is much better" I almost choked but I guess that's what happens when you ask a 5 year old a question. Their BBQ sauce was nothing either.

I don't know if I would go there again even to try other meats...

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:33 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Whoa...that's some brutal honesty! :lol:

For a long time I've suspected that in some parts of the country most commercial barbecue is on the less smoky side because the history and tradition isn't as well-established as it is in other regions. It's a lot easier to sell less-smoky meat to people who like it smokier than vice-versa.

I don't know much about Smoque but could it be that the urban location is also a factor? I'd be shocked if it wasn't a lot more regulated than some barbecue shack in a small town or out in the country.

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:59 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Return to Best BBQ Joint